six.

disclaimer: this chapter among a few others are under construction. no changes will effect the storyline or your understanding of the book later on. just improvements to dialogue, writing, etc.

*          *          *

Even on my worst days, the best part of my day was always the morning regardless of how early I had to get up. Every morning, I ran five miles on the beach no matter how hot or cold, rain or shine. My morning runs seemed to steer the direction of my day.

Today's run had begun even better than usual. The sand had just the right amount of resistance against my feet. The sun was beating down on me at just the right temperature to compliment the breeze coming off of the ocean.

My feet carried me down the beach into my second mile when I saw another runner a hundred feet away. As I got closer, she looked familiar. Both of us switched to walking as we were close enough to recognize each other.

"Bridget, what are you doing here?" I said breathing heavily.

The absence of makeup added a new allure to her face. Seeing her in a sports bra and spandex made my job feel too easy. While I was programmed to think of her as only the vessel to my enemy, she was also breathtakingly beautiful.

"My family's home is a couple miles down the beach. I've started running a few times a week. Have you always been a runner?" She was catching her breath.

"Everyday since I can remember. How have you been since the fundraiser? You disappeared after that."

She dug her feet into the sand. Her eyes looked anywhere but at me like she was looking for an escape from the topic of that night.

"I know, I'm sorry. I'm just really embarrassed about the whole thing. My father fired me in front of everyone and gave my promotion to my ex boyfriend, who cheated on me with my father's assistant."

"You shouldn't be embarrassed. You handled a difficult situation quite well."

"Thank you. You keep catching me in the midst of a crisis. First, Matt's car accident, the leaked therapy video's, and now you watched my dad fire me. You are always seeing at my worst." She ranted before leaving us in an uncomfortable silence.

We both tried to speak at the same time.

"You go first," I insisted curious as to what she would say.

Her face was angelic, glistening ever so slightly from her run. Her eyes now pulled mine to focus on them. Her overall beauty made my job a little easier. While I didn't like her and where, or rather who she came from, she was at least easy to look at.

"I can't stop thinking about what happened before we got interrupted by all that chaos." Bridget said.

"Refresh my memory," I smirked, teasing her.

"I told you I broke up with Matt," I took a step closer as she spoke, "and I think you were going to kiss me."

I took two steps closer, but I couldn't let her have it just yet.

"Yes, this rings a bell. I think this is where we left off." I said. She smiled into the kiss.

Her lips fit so well with mine. The kiss was so effortless to me. It almost felt natural. If I wasn't repulsed by her entire bloodline, maybe I would have even enjoyed the moment.

"What are we doing?" She slowly took a step back.

"I'm kissing a beautiful girl. What are you doing?" Humor danced upon the corners of my mouth contagiously bringing a smirk to Bridget's lips. A slight blush reddened her cheeks even more.