15. Homecoming

The sound of lockers slamming echoes off the walls as coach calls us in for a group huddle. Everyone gathers around to form a lopsided circle, squeezing in around the lockers and benches, all eyes on coach.

"Boys, I don't have to remind you how important this game is," coach says, his eyes, almost hidden by the brim of his cap, sweeping over every single one of our faces. "We've been busting our asses for weeks to prepare for this. Now let's go out there and win this thing!"

Cheers and hollers erupt throughout the locker room, everyone getting pumped up and putting their game faces on. Everyone lines up to file out of the locker room and head to the tunnel that leads to the field where we'll run through the banner to hype up the crowd.

Coach stops me just at the door, gripping my shoulder.

"Kick ass, Miller," he tells me quietly, his eyes stern and proud.

"You got it, coach."

He slaps me on the shoulder and follows me out to the tunnel where I find my teammates, jumping up and down or restlessly moving around on their feet, getting hyped up for tonight's homecoming game that just so happens to be against our biggest rivals.

I scan the group for Chase, finding him towards the front of the pack. His arm has healed just in time for the big game, but coach is still going to ease him back into it, not giving him much field time. I know he's bummed about it, but it's a miracle he's getting to play at all.

I lock eyes with Chase, his brown eyes staring back at me with intensity. He gives me a nod, determination written across his face.

I make my way to him, smacking hands and bumping helmets before heading to the front of the line, adrenaline coursing through my veins.

I crack my knuckles, stretching a bit while I anxiously wait for the announcer to call us. As soon as he does, the crowd erupts and we go running out onto the field, busting through the banner.

We gather on the sidelines, and my eyes immediately scanning the crowd for a particular brunette. I find her almost instantly, sitting where I instructed her to, ten rows back, in the center section of the packed bleachers. I was afraid I'd lose her in the sea of maroon, but I know I'd eventually find her in any crowd. Giving her a specific spot just helped.

Our eyes lock and that sweet smile graces her face, causing me to smile instantly. But my smile quickly fades, almost as fast as it came when I realize she's sandwiched between Delilah and rat boy.

My mood instantly plummets after seeing her next to that pale ass little asshole. Why in the hell is he here?

My hands curl into involuntary fists at my sides, my skin heating with anger despite the cool, crisp October air. He looks bored, like he'd rather be anywhere else, and damn I wish he was. He probably only came here to keep tabs on Olivia, the obsessive little rat.

To make matters worse, my eyes flick back to Olivia to find her not in my jersey. Instead, she's wearing a school pullover.

I instantly frown, crossing my arms over my chest, irritated.

Sensing my bad mood, her brows pinch together in confusion and she does that adorable thing where her head tilts to the side.

"Where's my jersey?" I yell, even though it's impossible for her to hear me over the crowd.

"What?" I see her yell, her browns pinching even closer together and eyes squinting, trying to decipher what I'm saying.

I take off my helmet.

"Jersey!" I yell, pinching the collar of my jersey between my thumb and forefinger, tugging at it to signal to her.

Her eyes clear in realization, and she straightens. Reaching down, she grabs the hem of her pullover, tugging it up to flash me my jersey that she's wearing underneath.