30. Down the Drain

The sunlight pouring in from the widow pierces my eyelids and I roll over with a groan, trying to block out the sun.

After a few minutes of not finding myself drifting back off to sleep, I peel my eyes open and blearily stare at the clock on my nightstand, wondering what time it is. I blink a few times, trying to make out the numbers, only to realize there's no numbers on the clock staring back at me.

Alarmed, I shoot up and grab my phone to see the alarm going off with no sound. I stop the alarm and a looming dread creeps up my spine and swarms my chest when I realize what time it is.

Fuck.

Not wanting it to be true, praying I'm stuck in some crazy nightmare, I repeatedly smack the digital clock on my nightstand, willing it to work and show an alternate time. It was working last night, but appears completely dead this morning.

My eyes flash back to my phone reading 8:42 AM. Forty-two minutes after the lab final has started.

Nauseous, heart thumping madly in my chest, I jump out of bed and throw on my shoes. Without a second thought, I race out the door without my coat or anything, only wearing my pajamas that consist of some old sweats and a ratty T-shirt, and sprint towards the science building.

Out of breath, my lungs on fire, gulping in the cold air, I force myself to push forward and race across campus as if my life depends on it. Halfway, I stumble over my own two feet and nearly fall flat on my face, the rough texture of concrete scraping my palms as I catch myself.

I hop right back up, pushing my legs to go faster, and eventually, after what feels like miles, I burst through the science building doors. Skidding around the corner to the anatomy lab, I stop in my tracks, spotting a group of three huddled outside the door.

Delilah and rat boy's backs are to me initially, each of their hands on Olivia's dejected shoulders in a comforting manor. Olivia's face is on full display, the hurt written across her face eminent, destroying me.

My less than subtle entrance catches their attention, my breathing rapid, chest inflating and deflating quickly as I stand frozen. Helpless.

Rat boy looks over his shoulder at me, a hard, knowing glint in his beady little eyes, like he expected this to happen. Even Delilah's eyes are hard, cold, as they land on my face.

Oliva's eyes glance up at me and her face crumples. I nearly stumble back at the look in her eyes. The disappointment—the betrayal—in them.

Hesitantly, on wobbly legs, I take a cautious step forward.

"Finch," I say softly, a plea in my voice.

She shakes her head, tears misting her eyes.

Words clog in my throat as I take more steps towards her, my feet feeling like cinderblocks.

"Finch... I'm sorry," I whisper remorsefully, my throat unbearably tight.

She only looks at me, hurt and confusion in her brown eyes.

"Finch," I plea desperately, reaching for her. "I didn't intend for this to happen, I swear."

Reluctantly, Delilah moves out of the way but all one hundred and thirty pounds of rat boy stands firmly rooted in front of her.

"Clearly she doesn't want to talk to you," he spits.

"Clearly, you need to stay the fuck out of this," I spit back venomously, shoving him out of the way.

"Finch," I say, much more gentler, softer, reaching for her face.

She flinches away, like she can't bear for me to touch her, absolutely breaking my heart. "Don't," she says, her voice firm but weak.