28. Punished

After nearly a semester of anatomy lab, the lingering stench of formaldehyde doesn't bother me as much anymore. It's become familiar as I step into the small classroom and walk over to my table, my girlfriend's back to me.

Delilah looks up and catches me walking in, a knowing smirk on her face. Olivia probably filled her in earlier this morning about our new official relationship status.

Slowly, quietly, I sneak up behind Olivia, leaning over her shoulder to smack an unexpected kiss on her cheek. She jumps, mildly startled.

Twisting at the waist, she looks back to see my grinning face, a grin breaking out across her own.

"Hi, girlfriend," I murmur, leaning down to plant a proper kiss on her mouth.

"Hi," she responds, a cute little blush spreading across her cheeks. I don't know if I'll ever get over how adorably shy she gets after I show her affection.

I shrug off my backpack and jacket before taking my seat, reaching over and grabbing the leg of Olivia's chair. Dragging her closer to me, I drape my arm over the back of her chair and place another kiss to the side of her head, causing her to giggle and shake her head, amused at my likely overkill of affection. But I can't help it. It's like everything inside of me itches to be near her, touch her.

"Alright, you two love birds are so cute I want to throw up in my mouth," Delilah sarcastically jokes.

Olivia's cheeks burn red in embarrassment as she shrinks lower in her chair, and I can't stop beaming. I glance at Delilah and she gives me a secret smile, letting me know she's happy for her best friend—and amused by her agony.

For the first time, I glance across our table to find rat boy madder than a hornet. I can practically see the blood boiling beneath his pale ass skin, the murderous glare in his beady little eyes. His jaw is clinched tight and his nostrils flare. He looks like he's going to implode in T minus ten seconds.

I have to admit, with pure male satisfaction, it kind of makes me happy to see him so pissed off and jealous. I'd be even happier if I knew it didn't upset Olivia so much, though.

Honestly, after he stormed out of class yesterday like a child, I didn't think he'd show up to lab today. I thought he'd be locked up in his room, pouting like a baby. Especially since it's a review day in this class for the final. I thought he'd think he was too good, too smart, to even show up and review any of the material. But I guess he's still trying to keep tabs on Olivia.

Tracy walks into the classroom, winded, carrying stacks of papers. She sets them on her desk and walks over to the computer, booting it on while smoothing out her red hair that's fallen out of her haphazard bun. I can tell the week leading up to finals is taking its toll on her, being a grad student and TA.

Watching Tracy, I accidentally catch a pair of envious green eyes.

Adrianna scowls at me—Olivia rather—her arms tightly folded over her chest. I can tell she's analyzing every little thing, scrutinizing. Wondering where she went wrong in her conquest to get us to end up together. Wondering what makes Olivia so special or what game I'm trying to play.

"Alright, everyone," Tracy cuts in, gaining everyone's attention. Adrianna's eyes reluctantly peel away from my direction. "As you know, the final for this lab section is next week on Wednesday at 8:00 AM," Tracy announces, causing a couple of students to groan at the reminder. "I know it's way earlier than our normal time," she cuts in, " but just think, at least you're getting it over with first thing," she finishes, trying to be optimistic.

"For today," she continues, grabbing her stack of papers and passing them out, "I've made some review sheets for you to study over and a mock final for you to try out. Turn it in by the end of the class period and I'll give you a few bonus points.