Debt

I was making breakfast when Nick came down dressed in his nice black suit with his tie undone. Even though i only felt fear looking at him, I couldn't deny how handsome he naturally was. "Good morning baby" he said as he slapped my ass. I softly smiled turning around from the stove to fix his tie. "I'll be working late tonight. I have a big client coming in and I want to impress them." He was a financial advisor at his own company. It wasn't huge but it paid the bills and anything else we yearned for. I just replied with a "hmmm" as I finished his tie and looked up at him slowly.

He was working late a lot. He barely had time for me...and Cason wasn't seeing much of his daddy anymore. Don't get me wrong, I liked the me time, but I couldn't help but miss the man standing in front of me and how things used to be. We were both in college when we met. Nick being the cliché football star and me just a graphic design artist majoring in digital marketing. One thing led to another, we ended up falling in love but I got pregnant early. Nick said things would be fine and we got married. He suggested I drop out to take care of the baby. He wanted me to be a stay at home mom while he finished his degree so he could take care of us. The plan was for me to go back to school once Cason was 6 months old but that ship has long sailed. I asked Nick about me returning to school in the past and let's just say that I still have the scar from how that conversation went.

I stared at my husband and put on my fake smile, opening my mouth. "You'll do great honey. Im sure they'd be lucky to work with you."

"You're right. I love you." He stated as he kissed my forehead and grabbed a piece of bacon from the plate. He kissed Cason who was in his high chair babbling away at the snacks in front of him. Nick was about to walk out the front door but stopped and turned around. "Oh and Bianca....make sure dinner is on time tonight. You know how I get if it's not ready when I walk through this door." He stated calmly but seriously.

I nervously smiled. "It'll be ready. Im sorry about last time." He just nodded and walked out closing the door behind him. I sighed and finished cooking the pancakes and bacon for my baby boy.

The day was almost gone and it was dark outside. I had already made dinner and it was waiting for my husband in the microwave. I looked at the time. 8pm.
"Cason come on its bed time"
He was on the living room floor playing with his toys. He looked up at me "mama!" And pointed at me. I giggled. "Yes baby now come on lets get you in bed"

Once he was asleep I started to clean up the house. This was my everyday life. I woke up and served my husband. Worrying about everything I say or do. Being a mother and a good one at that. Trying to protect my child from the monster he would one day call dad. I hated it. I hated this life. Some would think I was spoiled but if they spent a day with me they would surely change their mind.

As I finished cleaning, Nick's office light was still on. He never turns this off and then has the nerve to complain about the electric bill. I rolled my eyes stepping in to flip the switch but something caught my eye. It was a single piece of paper sticking out of his desk drawer. I contemplated. I never go through his things. But he wasn't here so one look wouldn't hurt. I opened the drawer and a spew of papers came flying out. I picked them up and they all had one thing in common. Big red bold lettering with the words 'Past Due' on them. I looked at them in shock. Mortgage, car notes, life insurance policy, everything past due. These were dated recently. What is going on? My seemingly successful husband wasn't paying our bills? What the hell was he doing with all the money he was making? He was working all the time, how could we be in so much debt!

As my head was spinning, I could hear the faint sound of a vibrating noise coming from one of the drawers in the desk. I paused. It was a phone ringing. I opened each drawer looking for it when I finally stumbled across an old looking flip phone. There was a number on the screen. I flipped it open answering it.

"H-hello?" I said.
"Uh im sorry. I must have dialed the wrong number" a female voice shakily stated and hung up.

I was confused. Why did Nick have this raggedy phone and who was calling this number. I opened the phones text messages and call logs to find my worst fear coming true.

He was cheating. That bastard. There were texts dating back to when I was pregnant from all different women. There had to be about 20 women in this phone. I felt disgusted. He was being unfaithful this entire time. The bile rose up in my throat as I threw up in the office trash can. I was angry. How could he do this to me? The thought raced through my mind but I was snapped out of it when I heard the front door opening.