Christopher

It had been 3 days since the warehouse mess and I still hadn't seen Rio. I told Lily to let me know if she sees him at the bar but there was no sighting. Had he been done with me? Was he mad that I didn't show up? I was beginning to overthink this.

It was late and Nick was still on his 'business trip.' I had decided to cheer myself up by buying some popcorn, wine and a new movie to watch. I put the popcorn in and stood there watching it pop.

"What you makin'?" His raspy voice echoed through my house. I jumped at the sudden intrusion. I turned around meeting eyes with Rio.

"What are you doing here? How did you get in? You can't keep doing that." I was concerned. Nick had already came home once unexpectedly. I didn't need him walking in at this very moment seeing this interaction.

"Relax ma, I just came to check in. You never showed at the bar that night like I told you to." He said nonchalantly but I could hear the disappointment in his voice.

"Look im sorry okay? I was just pissed that you sent me there to test me. If I was going to rat you out, i would've done that the first time you broke into my house. I really need the money alright. I wouldn't mess this up." I admitted.

"Alright" was all he said before he walked into the kitchen towards me and into the light.

I stared at him. He honestly was really beautiful. I could see every feature of his face clearly now and I don't think I had enough time to really take him all in before.

"Where's the baby? I thought he was coming back home soon." He asked a little concerned, surprising me. I didn't think he actually listened to what I said before.

"Oh he's still with his grandma. It turned into a longer break than I had planned but that's okay." I said a little sad.

He just nodded his head studying me for a sec. he scanned my body, looking at my pajamas. He smiled licking his lips.

The sound of the microwave beeping made me jump slightly, pulling me away from his intoxicating gaze

The sound of the microwave beeping made me jump slightly, pulling me away from his intoxicating gaze. I reached up grabbing the popcorn, dumping its contents into a large bowl.

"What's that?" He asked coming closer to me.

"What's what?"

"This." He said grabbing my wrist and pulling my cardigan sleeve up to reveal the ugly bruise Nick had given me a few days ago.

"Oh it's nothing. I was cleaning and got my hand caught trying to remove the dryer lint." I looked away. I really did suck at lying.

He grabbed my chin, making me look at him. He stared at me as if trying to find the truth. I pulled away and went to grab the wine.

"Uh why are you here Rio." I asked trying to change the subject.

"I need you to do a job." He said

"You want me to do a real job or do you want me to play one of your little games?" I asked annoyingly.

He didn't say anything as he handed me a piece of paper with an address on it.

"What's this" I asked.

"I need you to go pick up some product from that address. Tell them you're there for the wrapping paper." He said

"That's it?"

"Yah" he said taking one of my popcorns and eating it.

"Hey. Unless you're going to watch the movie with me you can't have any of my popcorn." I pouted. I widened my eyes realizing what I had said.

"Well what are we watching then?" He asked picking up the dvd I rented from the drug store.

"Wow I didn't take you for a horror film person. I thought this would be like 'Dear John' or some shit" he laughed.

"Not every woman is the same Rio." I rolled my eyes.

I walked passed him with the food and wine, grabbing the dvd from his hands. I sat on the couch and turned it on.

I felt the space next to me sink in as I looked over at him.

"Don't you have somebody to go beat up or something" I asked him.

"Nah. Im just a regular dude trying to watch a horror movie with a beautiful woman." He simply stated looking over at me.

I stared at him then shook off his comment. I really shouldn't be doing this but it felt good. His presence made me feel safe and comforting. It was nice to have someone here with me to do simple things like watch a movie.

I had fallen asleep halfway through the movie and I knew I was resting on Rio's shoulder. I woke up slightly shifting my position deeper into his body, taking in his pine scent. He slugged his arm around me and reached for my wrist with his free hand. He held my wrist, rubbing his thumb over the bruise, studying it. I winced at the pain and woke up. He took a deep breath and if I wasn't so sleepy I would almost think that he was mad.

"What's wrong?" I asked him sleepily.

"Nothing ma. Go back to sleep." He said softly rubbing my shoulder.

"Rio, What's your real name?" I asked halfway dreaming.

He paused for a second. As if deciding on whether or not to trust me.

"Christopher." He admitted.

"Hm Christopher" I repeated. It rolled off my tongue nicely and I fell back asleep.