Chapter 9

The loud noises of bustling students and people filled the school, signaling the start of the festival. The sun was in the process of leaving, painting the sky a pink and orange swirl.

"Remember to meet at the club room in an hour," the president reminded them for the hundredth time.

"Of course. I assume you won't be here," Gomi replied.

"Nope, I'll have Jay and Mocha take everything from there."

Gomi's brow lowered into an angry look. It seems she'll have to get along with that wild dog for a while. She didn't mind her small companion, in fact, she reminded Gomi of Kate in a way.

"Let's go," Gomi said to Kate. She took her hand and ran to the center of the school.

"Wow, it looks better as it gets darker," Kate said amazed. Her eyes followed the lights to see that the entire school seemed to be covered in them. The smell of different foods filled her nose. There were children way younger than them who ran while wearing masks.

"This isn't even the final result. Look," Gomi pointed to a small stage. On it were seats lined up as well as music stands.

Not long after she pointed it out, students who were wearing matching black dress shirts and pants walked onto the stage. They all took their seats as a man walked to the music stand in the front. He then tapped it and readied his hands.

"What song is this?" Kate asked Gomi.

"It's our school's alma mater."

Kate listened and could get an idea of what notes were being played. She listened with her eyes closed and before she knew it, the song had ended.

"Our band is pretty great. Before I was a representative, I thought of joining but I don't think I'd be good with music." Gomi smiled bashfully then gasped. "What about you? Would you consider joining? They need a couple of players for some of the more out there instruments."

"I mean, I play piano som-"

"Perfect!"

Gomi grabbed Kate's hand and went up to the base of the stage.

"Mr. Kelly, I have a piano player for you."

"Huh, who's this? I've never seen her before Gomi," he said eyeing Kate. "Play something for me."

He gave off a confident feel and looked at Kate like she was insignificant. If she can play, he'd change his mind about her image.

"Go on Kate," Gomi then chuckled, "or do you wanna do a duet?"

"I thought you were bad with music," Kate said making Gomi stiffen up.

"Um . . . well."

"Are you kidding? Gomi is an excellent player. But, she wasn't able to join." He then glanced at his watch and looked back at it. "Ah, we have a time limit. If you're going to help then get up there."

Gomi grabbed Kate's hand and led her up the stage to the piano in the back. They both sat on the long seat and eyed the keys.

Gomi spotted Mollie watching from the crowd and waved at her. She waved back but was then dragged off by a girl. She waved again and smiled awkwardly.

Kate touched the keys and her eyes went wide. She smiled and started playing the other keys. Gomi watched her as she seemed to be having fun.

"Alright, let's do this," Mr. Kelly said lifting the baton.

~

"Ah, that was fun. I haven't touched a piano in such a long time." Kate laughed and then turned to Gomi. She then hugged her.