Chapter 6

"You all know what tomorrow is, don't you," the Mr. Sabia in the front said. He was feeling awfully cheerful and energetic today. He wrote on the board quickly with almost the same amount of excitement as the students, if not more.

Gomi shuffled around in her seat. She waited so long for the festival to happen. The week wasn't boring either. There was no homework, no school work, no work at all. The only work there was when classes would help doing their class project and then students would either help with clubs, jobs, or volunteer for festival positions, which needed training if they were new. This was a week that the half animals were happy to have been born the way they were.

"The festival is a special day for half animals. Does anyone know why?" Gomi raised her hand quickly and looked around to see that no one else raised their hand, but they all looked at Gomi with smiles on their faces. "Gomi! Why is this day special for us?"

Gomi quickly stood up and looked at Mr. Sabia proudly.

"It's a special day because that was the day we were recognized as people," Gomi said confidently. Mr. Sabia clapped.

"That is absolutely correct. The festival is a celebration but remember, we have a special tradition on the night of the festival."

All the students knew what he was talking about.

"Now, for today, you know what we will do." The class nodded. "Well then, let's get started."

Everyone stood up and walked out of their classroom. There were other students coming out as well.

"Gomi," A voice said by Gomi's side. Gomi looked over and saw Kate looking confused and a little frightened. "What's going on?"

"Hold my hand, you'll see," Gomi said reassuring her. Kate took her hand hesitantly. They both felt the warmth of their hands mixing together and they couldn't help but blush slightly.

They both walked with the class to the center of the school where everything was going to be held.

All the kids looked around before being crammed into the auditorium.  They filled the seats and waiting in excitement.

After some time, a big man walked up to the stage and stood behind the podium. He had meduim length black hair and a strong body. He tapped on the microphone and cleared his throat.

"Hello students of Kast high. I am your principle, Mr. Kast. As you know, my family has been the principals of this school since it's beginning. My great great Grandfather wanted a place for us to learn and grow without the fear of be ostracized by humans. Even now, we are still treated harshly, but that won't break our spirit. We are strong and brave animals that can take any kind of beating. Our ancestors lived in the wild and survived with their instincts, this is nothing to them."

The students waited for the ending of his speech and was ready to jump and cheer.

"However," he looked down with a saddened look, "we can all see that the humans decide to rule everything involving us. We aren't granted much freedom, needing tags and chips and all this stuff so they can feel safe. If anything, we are the ones who don't feel safe. This isn't the wild, we've been forced to try and abandon the instincts that is embedded inside of us and become like them when only a half of us are like them."

The students then watched with confuses faces. Usually, their principal would end the speech with a more cheery tone. They've all known about the new incoming laws and their new policies but hearing it like this made them feel defeated.

"All of you deserve to be free, no tags and no chips. Once they read your tag and see you as an animal, they turn you away out of fear making it so much harder for many. I know you all can change the world and become free. My time for freedom is done but I will help pave your path to freedom."