Chapter 4

Kate messed with her straps as she walked towards the gate of the school. It was the front gate where many waited to be picked up. Students formed big groups amongst friends.

She didn't like seeing everyone in big groups. It made her feel uneasy and nervous. She hurried along and tried not to get noticed.

She wasn't getting picked up. Her father was probably working on something in her new home. His job required him to do things on his computer, something Kate didn't understand. Her mother was the one who went to a workplace and stayed there most of the day. It felt lonely since she was also an only child, adding insult to injury.

They may act friendly but it was only because they thought Kate would follow the path they paved for her. It seemed like the only time they paid attention was when it seemed she wasn't fitting what they wanted her to be. Kate sometimes wished she could just stop and rest but her family would still find a way to push her towards their vision of success.

She stopped, noticing she had arrived home. It seemed that she had gotten lost in her thoughts and arrived without her knowing. She slipped her keys out of her pocket and inserted it into the lock. She turned and opened the door, the chilling air welcoming her.

She walked into the house and felt the instant change in the air. The now shut door kept out the welcoming warmth the outside had offered. It was quiet and made the house seem empty.

"Ah, you're back," a voice chimed in from the kitchen. She followed the voice and saw her father looking through boxes.

"What are you doing dad?" Kate asked. She thought he would be in his office working as usual but it seemed he was unpacking. He snapped up and removed his head from the box.

"You know, I found out where we could put most of this stuff. I got nails to hang up pictures and a drawer for the papers. This one will be easy."

He moved his head back in the box and dug through the remaining items. He stopped and took out a dusty picture.

"What's that?" Kate asked. She wasn't sure if he'd answer but she still asked.

"It's a family picture when you were about three or four." He wiped off the dust with a nearby cloth and looked at the picture with soft eyes. A small smile appeared on his usually cross face which soon faded. He dusted off the rest of the picture, making sure it was clean and handed it to Kate.

"You can put this up in your room somewhere. So, how was school?"

"It was alright, I have some things I need to do so I'll probably be working in my room."

"Already? That's my girl, always so dedicated and hardworking. If you keep this up I might get you a little something," he said with a wink. He always said he would give something or do something but he would usually be too busy and would reschedule many times.

He turned and once again rummaged through another box, ignoring whatever else Kate had to say.

"Thank you, I'll be in my room working." He didn't hear.

She went up to her room in a slow fashion, occasionally giving small glances to her father, not that he noticed.

Once she walked through her room's door and had shut it she quickly jumped on her bed. Her eyes closed as she hugged a small stuffed cat on her bed, a gift from her mother, the more understanding one.

She then jumped up from her bed and walked over to her desk propping the picture up off to the side and starting on school work.

It was quiet and the only sound that could be heard was her pencil writing on her papers.

It felt like hours had passed when it had only been minutes. The work was boring and slow but it was school, a place for working not fun. At least, that's what her father thought. Kate disagreed and thought there should always be time for a break.

A loud chime started to play throughout the room making Kate jump up in surprise. She felt her body stiffen and her hair and tail stick up. Once the shock was over, she smoothed her hair and looked at her phone to see Gomi's name pop up making her grumble in annoyance.

"Hello?" She answered softly.

"Hey," Gomi's chipper voice yelled through.

Kate backed away from the phone at Gomi's sudden yell.

"You don't have to yell, I could hear you clearly," she grumbled. Kate could tell that Gomi didn't listen as she kept yelling into the phone.

It wasn't until another voice, who Kate thought to be her mom, came through and told her to settle down.

"Sorry, I guess I was being a bit loud," Gomi responded to the person.

A bit, Kate thought. She didn't say anything and waited for Gomi to speak again.

"How was your first day? Do you need any help, advice?" Gomi asked. Kate blushed at the unusual concern and held an annoyed face.

"No, everything was fine. I don't get why you would be concerned. I'm sure you have more problems than me," Kate said in a soft tone.

A small high pitched noise came through. "Aw, you're worried about me?" Kate blushed furiously, glad that Gomi couldn't see what she was doing to this cat.

"I'm not worried," she laughed awkwardly, "I'm just . . ." She stopped unsure why she was getting all worked up.

"Aw, you are worried. Well, thank you." Gomi then gasped. "Ah, I gotta do something important. I'll be right back." Kate could hear Gomi bark and run before she hung up.

"She's such a weird person," Kate said to herself, putting the phone down.

"Who's a weird person?" Kate jumped up and snapped her head to the door. Her mother stood there with a puzzled expression.

"M-Mom, when did you get there?" Kate asked with a smile. Her mother laughed and walked over to Kate.

"You didn't tell me you got home. I was in my room calling people for the house. Then I heard some loud noises in here." She then ruffled Kate's cotton-like hair. "Now, who's the weirdo?"

"It's no one, just a friend from school." Her mother's face grew a smile as she bent down hugging Kate.

"You already have friends," she exclaimed. "I'm glad that you won't be lonely while your father and I are busy. It must be hard on you, I'm sorry. I'm sure your father wishes to spend time as well."

Kate's smile dropped. Her father always held work first. That's how it always was.

"I'm sure I'm intruding so I'll leave you be." Her mother walked out the door and gave a little smile before shutting it.

Kate felt her good mood drain. She laid down on her bed and let out a heavy sigh. Then, her phone rang once more and she quickly answered it.

"H-Hello?" She answered cautiously

"Kate!" Gomi shouted. Kate couldn't help but smile at the warm tone of Gomi. "Sorry about that, I had to do something really quick but now I'm back. I'm not interrupting anything right?" Gomi's warm tone was now filled with worry as she fretted over.

"It's okay, I'm almost done anyway," Kate assured. She would have usually said she was busy and hung up quickly but something about Gomi's tone had comforted her to stay on.

"I can get hang up and let you finish though."

"No, stay on with me. I guess it's fine just this once."