Chapter 3

Kate walked into her class, a confused expression on her face. She took her seat and stared out of the window. Other students were outside either walking late to class or doing gym.

She watched the students in gym run around the track. Many of them were speeding around the track while some were taking it slow. Everyone loved gym no matter how big, small, slow, fast, it didn't matter. The chance to run and play was a joy to these kids and the teachers didn't make it boring like an all human school.

She then saw the familiar dark haired girl. She sighed heavily and looked away, focusing to the front. By then the class had filled and the teacher was taking attendance quietly. He would set up the lesson after.

The class was quiet. Students were playing on their phones or quietly whispering to their friends. Kate didn't have a lot of friends as she had only transferred.

She quietly took out a notebook and started doodling. She didn't know what to draw so she simply made squiggles on her paper and attempted to sketch something.

A student next to her then tapped on her desk lightly. It was a friendly looking boy who was massive compared to Kate. He had horns sticking out of the side of his head that curved and pointed to the front. His small, thin tail moved almost like a whip and flashed back and forth.

"Can I borrow a pencil?" Kate nodded and dug through her bag pulling out a never used lead pencil. She handed it to him with a nervous smile, in which he returned with a small grin.

"Thank you," he whispered. He looked at a notebook in front of him and started drawing a small sketch. Kate couldn't help but notice and watched him sketch. He sketched a figure of a man. Besides it was a picture of an eagle glued in.

"You can draw?" She asked. At first he ducked forward and hid the notebook under his arms and head, being sure not to hirt anyone with his horns. He then looked up surprised and nodded bashfully. "I like to draw too. What do you usually draw?"

"Eh, I like to draw different things. I don't really let people see since I find it embarrassing. What about you?"

Kate though for a minute but couldn't think of an answer. "I don't really know. My parents don't really like when I draw and I only moved so I don't have anyone to share it with, not that I would."

The boy smiled and let out a quiet laugh. Kate lifted her brow in confusion at his sudden action.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. I just thought it was nice to have someone with the same interest come here. Nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you too. I'm Kate, what's your name?"

"Ah, that's right I didn't say. It's Jose," nice to meet you." He extended his hand in an awkward position. Kate was reluctant to shake it but held out her hand and grasped his. He then clasped both hands on hers and looked at her with a shine in his eyes. Kate noticed his hands were big and the strength they must have.

"I look forward to working with you." She didn't understand what he was talking about and wanted to ask. However, the teacher then called to the class interrupting their small exchange.

He let go of her hands and put away his notebook. He then took out a small sticky note. He quickly scribbled his words and handed the note to Kate.

'I'll give you your pencil after class,' it read. She turned to him, nodding, then turning back to their teacher.

"I'm going to assign a prompt for you to do this week. Kate, I know that you just transferred so I'll help you if you have any questions. We have these prompts that I give at the beginning of the week and they're due at the end of the week but if you need more time then I can give you some more. As for the rest of you, I expect this to be done by the end of this week."