Chapter 5

Gomi spun around her room falling on the bed with a plop. She was excited since the festival seemed to be coming much quicker than ever. Only about a week left until the joyful day.

She laughed quietly to herself and didn't notice when her door opened.

"Can you not laugh like that, it's creepy," a voice said in disgust. Gomi looked up and saw her brother.

"Who said you can come into my room, Max!" Gomi yelled at him. She threw a pillow at his face, hitting him dead on.

"I only came in here because mom said so," he yelled back. Gomi grabbed another pillow and was ready to throw it at him before he waved his hands and yelled again.

"Your friend came over, the one with the glasses!" Gomi threw the pillow back on her bed and ran past him, shoving into him. He opened his mouth and had a surprised expression. "I don't get a thank you?"

Gomi ran down the stairs, ignoring him. She stopped in front of the door, almost falling, and threw it open.

"Mollie!" She yelled grabbing her friend. She hugged her tightly and wagged her tail wildly.

Hey Gomi," Mollie greeted back, returning the hug.

"I didn't know when you were going to be here. My brother is here since he came back from his trip." Gomi drooped her head and tail and glanced behind her to see Max walk over with an angry expression.

"It's alright, I kinda want to meet your brother." Gomi shook her head. "Why not?"

"He's lazy and doesn't do anything but complain." Max then grabbed Gomi and pushed her out of the way. He flashed his charming smile.

"Hi, I'm Max, Gomi's brother. Want to come in, I'm going to start baking right now," he said giving Gomi a smug smile.

Mollie nodded and went inside, Max closing the door behind her. He led both of them to the kitchen.

"What did you need Gomi for?" Max asked Mollie. He pulled out a mixing bowl, a whisk, and several measuring cups.

Gomi shook her head behind her brother and mouthed out a 'no' but Mollie didn't listen.

"Gomi invited someone to the festival, I'm helping her," Mollie said proudly. Max stared at Mollie dumbfounded. He then switched his gaze to Gomi and back to Mollie.

"Is it a guy?" His face shifted into a serious one. This was one of the only times he acted as an older brother.

"No, it's a transfer student named Kate," Mollie replied. Max's face relaxed and he had on his charming smile again.

He started taking out his ingredients and rested his arms on the counter. He stayed silent for a bit almost like he was thanking someone.

"I'm glad," he whispered. He thought about it before, when Gomi was a small pup who didn't know anything. The thought of her getting taken by some other no good animal made him mad. Although, he wouldn't let Gomi know he thought very highly of her. He ruffled Gomi's hair and looked up.

He then had another thought. "Is it a date?"

"No!" Gomi yelled, her face turning red. She looked off to the side and avoided her brother's eyes. He gave her a smirk and was tempted to tease her more.

"Want to go to your room Gomi?" Mollie asked. Gomi nodded and grabbed her arm. She led them up to the room although Mollie knew exactly where it was.

Gomi shut the door behind them and stayed there for a couple of seconds. She then looked up and yelled.

"Stupid Max!" She yelled hoping he would hear. A laugh came echoing signaling that he had indeed heard. She groaned and jumped on her bed.