Chapter 2

Gomi took her seat next to Mollie. Her friend gave her a puzzled look. Gomi didn't notice through her happy mood. Her tail wagged wildy behind her.

"You okay? The only time you've smiled like that was when your parents let you run down a hill." Mollie then put a smile on her face and laughed. "I remember you came back up covered in grass and begging to jump down again."

"My mom was mad at me since the stains wouldn't come out." They both laughed. "I guess I'm just happy to have found another friend."

"What do you mean by that?" Mollie asked. The sudden change in Gomi's words was worrying. Gomi was usually a happy person but the thought of being alone was terrifying. So, Gomi told herself that she would try and make more friends. Mollie was willing to stay by her side as her best friend, nothing more, nothing less.

"I asked Kate if she wanted to go with me to the festival and she said yes," Gomi told her. She stomped her feet down lighty in excitement.

"Are you sure she didn't just say that so you'd stop talking?" Mollie asked her.

"How'd you know?" Gomi asked, turning her head quickly.

"I know that you talk too much," she replied laughing. "Ah, looks like the lessons going to start. Let's talk after?"

Gomi nodded and faced forward. She thought about what her new friend could be doing.

Although they were in different classes, Kate still felt the after-effects of the time spent with Gomi.

"Ugh, my head hurts," she whispered. She rested her head on the desk and hummed softly, trying to ignore the throbbing.

After she, regrettably, accepted Gomi's invitation, Gomi showed her the rest of the school but now she was filled with excitement. She dragged Kate everywhere and was practically yelling everything.

"Why are dogs so hyperactive?" Kate whispered to herself. Deep inside, she felt that is made her life more interesting. She was always surrounded by cats and some other animals but a dog was . . . exciting? It made her feel like she was doing something bad just by being in the same homeroom.

All her life, her family had always warned her of canines, such as dogs, wolves, coyote, etc, and how dangerous they were to the small feline creatures they are. Her parents never let her talk to a canine, especially dogs, neither adult nor child. Since most of the other animals were bigger than her in her growing stage, she had always seemed cautious of them. Even though she might have felt safe in her own little circle, there was always a lack of excitement and so she had little friends throughout her life. She found that it became harder to get along with other people like her. She had thought before that maybe she could have gone against her parents and befriended a dog, they are seen as man's best friend, but even if that were to happen, she felt that the guilt of going behind their back was too much. Now, she had grown up with a certain mindset that was easily changed as she wasn't done growing and her first encounter with a dog was Gomi, one of the nicest dogs ever.

Her mind was filled with dogs and expectations. Soon, she couldn't focus on the lesson and started thinking. She was going to go to this festival with a dog. She had to admit that she was curious about what spending time out with a dog, a real-life dog, was really like. As long as Gomi didn't drag her around then maybe the evening wouldn't be bad. As long as her parents didn't find out, she could have a real proper time with a dog. However, maybe she'd have to explain her uneasiness.

To Gomi, opposite of Kate's worries, she didn't care what kind of animal Kate was. As long as she was going with her then she was excited either way.

It wasn't long before the bell rang for lunch. Gomi perked her head up and waited for the teacher to dismiss them.

"Alright class, that concludes our time for today. I'll see you tomorrow. You are now dismissed," he gave a bow as the class hurried to leave.