Chapter 1

"Gomi."

"Gomi."

"GOMI!"

Gomi jumped up from her bed and looked around her room. Her eyes scanned the doorway and saw her father standing there with a serious yet tired expression.

"It's time to get out of bed, Gomi. You have to get to school and I don't want you to be late. Don't forget to take your pill." He turned to leave the room muttering to himself.

Gomi looked at the clock on her nightstand and she jumped out of bed. The clock said in clear digital letters, 7:38. The school was starting in less than 30 minutes.

She let out a small gasp and hurried to get dressed. She rushed to her closet and started shuffling through. She quickly put on her uniform and ran down the stairs almost tripping over each step.

She ran into the bathroom and brushed her teeth quickly. She turned to leave but then remembered her pill and quickly took it.

She sat in her seat at the dining table and started eating the plate in front of her, not caring if she looked a mess. She noticed the boy across from her giving her disgusted look.

"You know," her brother started, "you wouldn't have to rush like this if you had woke up early today."

He always told Gomi things like this when she woke up late. She didn't mind once in a while but hearing it all the time was tiring. Besides, it wasn't her fault that she woke up late. She was up late doing homework and sorting important papers.

"Can I eat in peace, Max?" Gomi said, her mouth full.

He let out a small laugh and sat back in his chair with a smug grin. Gomi paid no attention to him and tried to quickly eat, already used to his little remarks.

"Leave your sister alone, she has enough things to worry about," her mother yelled from the kitchen. "Besides, she was up late going over school stuff."

"Tch, I don't get how she became a student representative." He spoke as if the one he was talking about wasn't at the table. "She's too irresponsible."

"You're one to talk," she yelled out in response. "If I remember correctly, who was the one that slammed into a tree because they got too cocky during the race."

"That was-"

Before he could retort with anything else, Gomi stuffed the last piece of her breakfast in her mouth and went to the door, slipping on her shoes and grabbing her bag.

"I'm leaving," she yelled to her mother, not caring to finish chewing her food. She opened the door and got ready to run.

"Gomi, don't run with your mouth- and she's gone." Her mother shook her head and sat at the table.

"I don't get why she has to make fun of me." He crossed his arms. He still felt embarrassed over Gomi bringing up his tree accident. It was a memory he wished he had forgotten.

"I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that you provoked her first, Maxy. Anyways, don't you have to be getting somewhere." Their mother dropped the topic quickly as he let out a small groan. The nickname left him to groan even louder.

He got up from his seat at the table and slipped on his bag. He left out the door in a less hurry than his sister.

Gomi quickened her pace and followed the route she always took. It wasn't a long walk to school but Gomi needed to get there immediately.

She barely made it through the gate with a couple of minutes to spare.

Her usual plans were to meet up with her best friend and walk with them to class, but she figured they had already gone to class with how late she was. She felt sad that she left them alone but quickly shook it off and told herself that she didn't want them to be late.