OUR FUTURE

Chapter 39

The day has turned out beautiful. Solstice and I descend the trail, making conversation about the game to hunt for food and discuss plans for fishing in the creek and exploring more of the area later. When we reach the creek, we lay our towels on a large rock, and then Solstice begins stripping off her clothes. I stand there watching her, feeling a bit jealous. Her body has curves in all the right spots, breasts just the right size, and a beautiful skin tone the color of a chestnut. She walks towards the water, her jet-black hair bouncing off of her naked back as she moves. I see now how it was that Toby at first thought that she was an angel.

She begins to enter the water, then turns back to me. "You're staring at me; why?"

"Because you're beautiful."

Oh great. I can't believe I blurted that out to Solstice. I hope she doesn't take the compliment the wrong way. She gives me that smile of hers, seeming even more beautiful now.

"Are you going just to stand there and stare at me? Come on in with me. The water feels great."

Instinctively I scan the area around us, making sure that no one is watching us. I finally strip my clothes off, then grab the can of shaving cream and go to join Solstice. I step in, feeling the warmth of the water in contrast to the lingering coolness of the late morning.

"Ahh, Solstice, you're right. This water feels so good. I haven't had a bath in three days."

"Yes, it's been even longer than that for me. Now that Cain and Toby are doing well, we can finally take care of ourselves."

"I sure wish I had a razor," I say, "my legs feel like sandpaper. Shampoo would be a blessing, as well. I suppose we could use this shaving cream like soap."

"We are just going to have to function with what we have. I'm just thankful to bathe finally."

Solstice and I bathe as best as we can with the shaving cream. I notice Solstice is using her dress as a washcloth. I should have thought to bring the dirty washcloths we have and wash them out. When she finishes, she comes behind me and begins washing my back. I am a little apprehensive about this at first, but I have to admit, it does feel nice. I haven't had anyone wash my back since I was a kid. After she finishes, I feel compelled to return the favor.

After we finished bathing, she walks to the beach and lays her dress out on a large rock to dry, placing the can of shaving cream next to it before returning to the water. She wades next to me, staring in a way that suggests something is on her mind.

"So, Jamie, you've only known Toby for a few days, is that right?"

"Yes, but it feels like years instead."

"Do you plan on having sex with him?"

"Solstice, don't you think that is a little personal?"

"Not really. Before long, we'll know everything there is to know about each other anyway."

I give in to confiding in Solstice, telling her of the time in the boat when I was just dying for Toby to grab my breasts and how disappointed I had been that he didn't.

She laughs, mocking me, grabbing at her breast, pretending to be me, "Oh yes, Toby, squeeze them, please, Toby."

I laugh, then splash water at her. And then, I tell her how I almost had sex with Toby on Pop's porch.

"And I'm usually not like that Solstice, ever. But with Toby, it's different."

"I can certainly understand why. Toby is very handsome," she says.

"Yes, I fell for him the moment I saw him."

"Jamie, now that I know Cain and Toby are going to be fine, I have been thinking some of what our lives may be like, with the four of us living here alone."

"Yes, I have been thinking of that myself somewhat."

"There are so many things to consider."

"I know, I'm very perplexed at all of this. I think that we should be able to survive okay, but I worry about Cain. When he gets older, he will be lonely without a female companion. And I worry about you as well."

"Yes, Cain is my main concern. But I have had a positive thought about that. You may have thought of it yourself already."

I could see where this was leading.

"You mean the possibility of Toby and me ... conceiving a daughter?"

"Yes, exactly."

"Yes, I've thought about that. I suppose the possibility does exist if we are here long enough. But what if we were to conceive a son? Then we would have two boys, one or both of whom would never have a mate."

She stares at me for a few moments, and I know what will come out of her mouth next before she says it.

"Jamie, another possibility does exist."

And there it is, our future exposed and up for discussion. I didn't think that this conversation would come so soon.