Adam

Chapter 2

I find it fascinating how I can remember some trivial things so clearly, while other critical things seem to slip from my mind so easily. Thus, the day I met Adam Ringwood, Wednesday, February 10, 2010, at Applebee's on Brooklyn College.

"Jamie, what do you think of Dr. Bailey?"

I chewed on the last bite of my burger, washing it down with a swig of water.

"I'm not sure yet, Tina. It's hard to get a read on her. She's not sharing much personality yet. Did you finish the rhetorical essay?"

"No, I'm struggling with it. You know, I don't think I've seen her smile once yet."

"I know. We may be in trouble. What do you think about that rude comment she made on Monday?"

"Which one?"

"Remember that girl to the left of us commented that this was a crowded class, and Dr. Bailey made that comment, 'It'll thin out soon enough.'"

"Yeah, that was pretty blunt. She's probably right, though."

I took another sip of water, then pushed my empty plate aside, a picture of Dr. Bailey in my mind, shoulder-length graying dark hair, dated styled skirt, and a permanent frown.

"Jamie, I think that guy over there is staring at us."

I glanced across the room, then back at Tina. She glanced in his direction, motioning with her head. A man sat alone, teddy bear body style, full beard, brown wavy hair, neatly dressed in khakis and a brown sweater, briefcase at his side. His eyes glanced in our direction, then quickly back at his food.

"Tina, I've seen him here on campus this week, walking around, looking lost. I'm pretty sure he is a new professor."

"Yeah, I should have known, nerdy appearance, briefcase, beard. You know, he is kind of cute in a certain way."

"Hmm, yeah, I suppose." I glanced at my watch, 5:15 p.m.

"Tina, I need to go. I have homework to catch up on, and then I need to get ready for work."

"Yeah, I should go too. That essay is waiting for me."

"I'm going to go to the restroom first," I said.

"Go on. I've got the ticket. I owe you this one, remember?"

"Okay, thanks."

I walked out of the restroom, rubbing my damp hands together, and saw Tina waiting for me by the door. We only made it a few steps out when we heard someone calling.

"Ma'am, excuse me, ma'am."

Tina and I both turned and looked. There he was, the man that was sitting across from us, holding up a purse, the one I'd forgotten in the booth.

And so, it began February 10, 2010, just a bit past 5:15. I even remembered his brown loafers. If I had any attraction for him at first, it slowly dissipated within the first two weeks of our initial meeting.

Adam had recently received his Ph.D. at the University of Iowa Graduate College, specializing in Ancient World history. He was all alone here in New York, a handful of acquaintances, no friends yet. I was grateful he had seen my purse lying in the booth and returned it to me. Standing outside of Applebee's, the three of us making preliminary introductions, and I felt the aura of loneliness bleeding from him.

We exchanged numbers, with me promising to show him around the campus. It turned out that his planning period coincided with my study period, so the next day I was able to make good on my promise. The following Monday, I took him to the Library Cafe, a typical hangout for three other professors that I was familiar with, and made introductions.