Embarrassing Moments

Chapter 5

The plane lands in New Orleans at 9:30 a.m. central time. After retrieving my luggage from the baggage claim, I find my way to Avis Rent-A-Car. A friendly female associate who is wearing a name tag that says SAMANTHA greets me. She is probably about my age, but only about five feet tall, with short black hair and a pretty smile.

"Good morning, how may I help you?" she says, in a Cajun accent.

"Good morning, Samantha. I'm here to pick up my rental car."

I hand her my driver's license, and she inputs my information off of it.

"Okay, Jamie, I do have your reservation on file. I see that you are from New York. Welcome to New Orleans. If you are here on vacation, feel free to pick up some tourist information right around the corner."

"Okay, thank you. I guess you could say that I am here on a working vacation. I'll pick some brochures up on my way out."

"Oh, a working vacation. May I ask what it is that you do?"

"I'm a journalist. I'm here working on a story for a magazine called Life Unordinary."

"Oh, how interesting. Are you writing about Marie Laveau?"

"No, I am here doing some research about the Rougarou. But I have heard that name before. Who is she?"

"She was a famous Creole voodoo practitioner who lived in the 1800s. Many tourists come to the area to see her history and visit her gravesite. Her grave is in the St. Louis Cemetery. You will find more information about her in the brochure."

"Thanks, Samantha. That sounds very intriguing. I'll be sure to pick up a brochure. I wouldn't mind visiting her grave, but I'm here alone and, it might be kind of creepy going to the cemetery by myself."

"Yes, I wouldn't recommend going by yourself. There is a tour that you can take. I'm also off work on Saturday and Sunday. If you don't have anything better to do, I wouldn't mind showing you around some."

"Yes, Samantha, I would love that. How generous of you to offer."

"I'm also off work at 5:00 p.m. each weekday if you want to hang out. I could show you around the French Quarter if you would like. I'm a little bored lately since my boyfriend and I broke up."

Samantha and I exchange numbers and chat some more before I take possession of my Ford Fusion. I've been here for less than thirty minutes and have already made a friend.

I make the thirty-minute drive from the airport to the Marriott, where Cheryl made my reservations. I suppose Tiffany told her to make reservations close to the French Quarter, which is fine with me. I usually don't have the convenience of staying in such a luxury hotel when I travel, so I wasn't going to argue about it.

I check-in, then head up to my room. The room is fantastic. From my window, I have a great view of downtown. Opposite the bed, there is also a desk where I can work.

One of the first things I should do is try to make contact with this Toby LeBlanc. After all, it may take me a few attempts to convince him to talk to me, much less give me his grandfather's contact information.

I had already added his number to my contacts, so I type his name in the search bar and proceed to press the number to make the call. I suppose I wasn't paying attention to where my fingers were because I FaceTimed him. It was too late when I realized what I had done.

"Hello," he says, the handsome face of Toby LeBlanc now staring at me.

"Um . . . Mr. LeBlanc?"