thirty-two

Just when I had parked in my driveway a car pulled into my driveway as well

Just when I had parked in my driveway a car pulled into my driveway as well. It was a police type car but it was black.

I got out the car and they did the same. It was man in a suit so I'm guessing he's a detective. If this about Avontae momma imma just act slow.

"Can I help you?" I asked as he walked up to me.

"I hope so." He said before he showed me his badge.

"About?" I asked.

"Do you know a Semaj Brookins?" He asked.

"What is this about?" I asked.

"You might want to sit down. I have a few questions." He said.

I unlocked the door to my house. I'm glad I cleaned up before I left. We sat down on opposite sides of the couch.

"Your house is lovely ma'am." He looked around.

"Thank you..." I said.

"Why do you want to ask me questions about Semaj?" I asked.

"So you do know him?" He asked.

"If you're going to ask the same question over and over you can leave." I said and he chuckled.

"Who is Semaj to you?" He asked.

"A friend." I said and he pulled out 3 photos of us outside the tattoo shop. Two of them he had his arm around my waist and the other we were just talking.

"Seem like more than friends to me." He said.

"Like I said. If you're going to ask me the same questions you can go. You haven't told me not one time why you're "questioning" me." I said.

"What were you arguing about? Was it another girl?" He asked.

"Sir I don't see how of any of that is relevant." I said.

"This girl was found dead in her home." He said pulling out another photo. It was the same girl I did the tattoo on that was on FaceTime with him. I don't know what the fuck Semaj got going on so I got to play this off.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Do you know her?" He asked.

"Oh yea that's Alexis, I did her tattoo a while ago." I shrugged.

"While ago? You're a well know tattoo artist you remember all of your clients?" He asked.

Damn looking me up and shit. This why I don't like police, the government none of that. They know too much and leave us in the dark.

"I've done multiple tattoos on her that's why I remember her face." I clarified. "What does this have to do with me?" I asked.

"She was killed that same day you and Semaj came into contact. We found her body a day ago and what a coincidence that you leave not only the city but the state and Semaj is nowhere to be found." He said and laughed. I swear I ain't mean to.