chapter one!

chapter one! the new boy

─── ✞ ───

"Caoimhe, fecking hurry up,"
Aoife O'Malley moaned, banging her pale fist against the chipping wood of the bathroom door, loose strands of bright red hair escaping from beneath her deep green headband, that coincidentally matched her uniform.

"Don't take that attitude with your sister, Aoife!" the O'Malley mother, Eileen, called out from the kitchen, where she sat nursing her second cup of tea of the morning as she watched over her youngest child.

"We miss the bus and Da will have to drive us," Orin added, leaning against the wall behind his twin, running a hand through his matching red hair, that all of the O'Malley siblings apart from Conor had inherited. 

Half an hour had passed since the twins had first begun their attempts to pry their younger sister, Caoimhe from the shared bathroom. All they had wanted to do was brush their teeth before they left for their respective school buses.

Usually, by this time the twins would have left the family's flat, and would either be at their Aunt Mary's meeting up with their cousins or buying sweets from 'Denis's wee shop'.

At the thought of the O'Malley patriarch driving them to school, and embarrassing Caoimhe on her first day the young redhead opened the bathroom door. An annoyed look covered the young girl's freckled face as she looked at her older siblings. Orla's old green uniform covering her body, it had annoyed Eileen to no end that Caoimhe was too tall to fit into Aoife's old skirt and blazer. Luckily for Eileen, her sister had kept both Erin and Orla's old uniforms to pass down to Caoimhe.

 "Finally," Orin complained, glancing down at the new watch he'd been gifted for his birthday as he and Aoife burst into the bathroom to rapidly brush their teeth,
"We're too late to go to Auntie Mary's."

"Are you sure?" Eileen asked, balancing the smiley, four-year-old on her knee, "That's a shame, Granda wanted to see Caoimhe on her first day."

"It isn't our fault, it was Caoimhe screwing around," Aoife sighed, walking into the kitchen with her siblings and kissing her mother and Imogen's cheeks before moving to retrieve her shoes.

"Imogen must have kept her awake," Eileen sympathetically smiled, bouncing the toddler on her knee.

"We'll go see Granda on the way home, Ma," Orin promised, kissing her mother goodbye.

"Caoimhe, come on," Orin called as Aoife slung her backpack over her shoulders.

"I can't find my shoes," the middle O'Malley called, presumably from the bedroom she shared with Imogen.