chapter seven!

chapter seven! the crying statue

─── ✞ ───

"Where did he go?"
Erin grumbled, looking around the eerily empty church.
The girls had continued to chase Erin and the dog all the way into the drafty church.

"I don't really give a flying fuck!" Aoife grumbled, leaning against James unable to move to grab her inhaler.

James noticed the breathless girl beside him, leading her over to the nearest pew and sitting her down. Aoife's wheezy breathing echoed through the church as James fished through her pockets for the blue inhaler. After a minute or two of searching, James pulled the inhaler out, shaking it and lifting it to Aoife's lips allowing her to take the few breaths of the gas that she needed.

"Thank you," Aoife smiled as her breathing gradually returned to normal.
James helped Aoife back to her feet and led her back towards their friends but not in time to escape Maureen Malarkey who had caught sight of her and Erin.

"Listen you two!" Maureen Malarkey screamed, moving over to Aoife and Erin who stood a couple of metres away from the rest of the group.

"Yes, Mrs Malachy?" Erin nervously stuttered out, shrinking back from the elderly woman as the rest of the girls raced away from the woman.

"You give that grandfather of yours a message from me. You tell him to keep his bloody mouth shut about my pen!"

"OK!" Aoife reluctantly agreed, the feud between Joe and Maureen Malarkey was well known around Derry after an outburst from Joe at bingo one evening.

"And I want my baking tray back!" Maureen Malarkey concluded, storming into the confessional and slamming the door behind her.

"Of course," Michelle grumbled, gesturing over to the short blonde, who was kneeling in front of one of the statues, "Trying to butter up the big woman."

"Oh, now you'll definitely pass!" Erin teased, stopping behind Clare who continued to pray.

"It's worth a try!" Clare snapped, and the rest of the group looked at each other before kneeling beside Clare.

"I'm not gonna bother with any 'never sin again' material, 'cause let's face it, we've been there before," Michelle spoke as she kneeled in front of the statue, "You know it's balls, I know it's balls."

"Oh, my God!" Clare suddenly cried, lifting her hand and pointing at the statue.

"What is it?" Aoife asked, opening her eyes.