chapter eight!

chapter eight! the truth

─── ✞ ───

"Here's what I find strange,"
Mary Quinn started, the three cousins nervously sat in front of her, Father Peter and Sister Michael sitting to the side of the cousins,
"You're in that Chapel every single Sunday, yet this message from on high comes on the very day you happen to have an exam, which I know for a fact you haven't as much opened a book for!"

"I find that very strange as well, Mrs Quinn, very strange indeed," Sister Michael agreed, looking over at Erin who was the number one suspect in everyone's eyes, as she'd done nothing but act strange all morning.

"What are you suggesting?" Erin nervously asked her mother.

"If you are lying, Erin, so help me, Jesus," Mary snapped, crossing her arms over her jazzy jumper.

"I'm not lying!"

"Swear," Mary snapped at her daughter, pointing over at the framed picture of Dolly Parton that was hanging on the wall, "Swear on Dolly."

"Orla and Aoife saw it too!" Erin quickly reminded her mother to avoid having to swear on Dolly.

"Orla's easily led," Mary dismissed, Orla smiled raising her cup of tea with a swift thank you, "And Aoife will go along with anything."

"Look, I'm sure you all must have questions," Peter interrupted the mother and daughter arguing.

"I have a question," Sarah decided, raising her hand, her eyes scanning the priest's figure, "How do you stay in such good shape? Is it exercise? Diet?"

"Combination of both,"

"I also have a question, Pretty boy. Why are you encouraging all this?" Mary asked, making Peter turn to her.

"I wouldn't say I'm encouraging it, I'm just open to the possibility,"

"Well, I'm not. Not unless I see some cold, hard evidence,"

"And maybe it's there," Peter told her before he started to talk to himself once more, "Proof at last, Peter, proof at last."

"Is he all right?" Mary asked, focusing her attention on Sister Michael.

"I wouldn't say so, no. He's a priest, like," Sister Michael waved off.

"Why seek ye among the dead? He is not here but he has risen. Come, come see the place the Lord lay! God is inviting us to be His Witness," Peter rambled before he stopped pacing before the group,
"We  must look in the burial place."