chapter thirteen!

chapter thirteen! the decision

─── ✞ ───

Joe had made the decision that instead of suspiciously lingering in the lay-by that they should keep Emmett in the boot for now and find a local diner, where the family could decide over a cup of tea what they should do. 

"It's aiding and abetting," Gerry snapped at Joe who sat across from him in the booth, "We're talking some serious jail time here."

"I cannot go to jail," Aoife panicked, her head leaned against James' shoulder as she tucked herself into his side. Imogen now clinging to Granda Joe giving Aoife a second to breath without the toddler.

"Well, it's a risk we have to take," Joe told him ignoring his granddaughter's comment.

"No, it's not, Joe. It's not a risk we have to take, it's a risk we shouldn't take!" Gerry quietly shouted, which made his father-in-low frown.

"Don't take that tone with me, boy,"

"He seems a nice enough fella, Gerry," Mary spoke up as she fussed over Anna who was sitting in a highchair beside her mother.

"We have to walk away from this,"

"What if we don't help him and he kills us all because we know too much?" Erin panicked, but her dramatics were ignored.

"I like him. I think he's a character," Orla commented, dozily lifting her head off Granda Joe's shoulder.

The waitress walked over to the family's table once again, bored as she looked at the family, "Well?"

"Just a cup of tea for me, please, love," Gerry kindly asked, Mary and Joe nodded in agreement.

"Oh, and some cokes for the wee'uns, please," Mary added before turning to her sister, "What do you fancy, Sarah?"

"I wouldn't mind a wee vodka," Sarah told the waitress and Michelle nodded ordering one for herself.

"We don't sell alcohol," the waitress rudely dismissed them, Sarah sink in her seat and requested a tea instead.

"Any food?" 

"We're just looking," Mary nodded with a polite smile pulling her glasses back onto her face, the waitress scoffed walking away from the group.

"Yeah, and at two, twenty-five a burger, looking is all we'll be doing," Gerry muttered under his breath as the waitress walked away.