* Chapter 2: Heroes Rise

Smoke rose up as Sunset Heights was destroyed by giant lasers. Massive robots rampaged in the background, stomping on whatever was in their way. Some of the citizens found themselves unlucky enough to caught in the crossfire as they tried to escape. Even if they ended up evading the giant robots though, smaller ones were deployed by the thousands, ordered to take whatever prisoners they could.

Flying up above this unfortunate city was an ivory hedgehog followed closely by a gliding echidna. Although they were high above the ground, smoke and debris still caught them off guard, causing brief blinding or even a sudden cough from the choking fog.

Silver bit his lip, staring at the destruction before him. "I-I'm too late..." He stated, landing on one of the buildings lucky enough to still be standing.

Knuckles landed next to him and patted his shoulder. "I wouldn't give up yet. We can still turn this around." He surveyed the area. People were scattered far and wide. If Sonic were there, he'd just jump down and return with everyone in seconds. The echidna slightly lowered his head at the thought of the azure hedgehog before turning to Silver. "You head up toward that massive robot and destroy it. I'm sure there are still some people near it. I'll stay here and try to help evacuate."

Silver nodded. "Got it," he flew up before turning around and adding, "commander."

As the ivory hedgehog flew toward the massive bot, a loud cry came to ear. The ivory hedgehog dove down toward the buildings. A wave of robots was making their way toward a group of people. A beige dog with blue stripe accents was throwing rocks at them while a young brown jackal whimpered.

"Argh! This isn't getting us anywhere, Rya!" The dog mobian shouted, growling at the threat in front of him. He kicked up a large piece of the cobblestone path toward the robots, his blue and red shoes looking like a blurred streak.

"C-calm down Lennon! G-getting angry i-isn't going to h-help us!" The jackal named Rya exclaimed, peeking her green eyes over Lennon's shoulder as the robot army closed in. She lightly pushed back her bangs before gripping the lapel of her grey button-up jacket.

Stopping in front of them, the lead Egg Boiler raised its arm up to shoot. Lennon gave a deep growl as he looked around for something, anything else to use as ammo. The ground was now hard dirt and any rocks he could have used had already been thrown at the robots. There was nothing else he could do.

The dog held an arm out in front of Rya, showing his fist to the robot who would have been amused at the attempt if it weren't for its programming. Before the robot's hand could even glow its bright orange for the shot, an aqua aura surrounded the robot, ripping it apart.

Silver landed right in front of the two mobians, facing the robot army ahead. "Hey, you two okay?" He asked, briefly looking back as held his hands out defensively.

"Tch, I could have handled that myself." Lennon crossed his arms and looked away from the ivory hedgehog.

Rya sighed, still shivering from the close call. "W-what my grumpy g-grunt of a friend is trying to say is 'thank you.'"

Silver smashed another of the robots together only for more to flood the streets. "I wouldn't thank me just yet." He grabbed a streetlight and pulled it to the ground using his psychokinesis before turning to the pair. "We better move. How are both of you on heights?"

The young jackal gave a thumbs up before nudging the dog. "Whatever." He stated.

"Alright, hang on!" An aqua aura surrounded the two as Silver used his powers to lift them all up. Just in time too. A blast was heard as one of the robots shot a hole into the wall of the building that was previously behind them.