Chapter 11: Danger Approaching

Twigs and branches crumbled beneath their feet as Silver and the Chaotix navigated the forest floor. The psychokinetic hedgehog flew a little above them, pulling back brush and bramble so they could continue forward without a face full of leaves.

Once they had made their way to a clearing, Silver landed on the ground next to Espio. The chameleon seemed to be handling this well considering the condition he had returned with on their last mission. Still, it was so soon. "Hey, you sure you're feeling alright for this?" Silver asked the chameleon.

Espio looked back at the ivory hedgehog. Although he couldn't deny how bruised he still was, there was nothing to immediately worry about. "Don't worry about me. I'm feeling better after the nurse, Blossom, healed me up." The purple chameleon reassured. He made a few quick glances around their surroundings. At least they hadn't been spotted yet. "Besides, I'm more concerned about you."

"Me? Oh, right, because I'm a target for that jackal." Silver sighed and crossed his arms. With Tails and the younger Sonic returning came news about Eggman. Apparently, he was the next target. Made sense. He was a time traveler. Without him being an active member of the Resistance, nothing in his future would change. That was also why is annoyed him being stuck at the base for a little over a week. At least Knuckles realized his purpose for even being in the past and sent him out. Sending the Chaotix with him wasn't a bad idea either. Silver did worry for their safety if they were to get into a fight. "Well, you don't have to worry about me either. This guy is pretty tough, and you guys already got hurt trying to hold him off for me and Wendy. Besides, I've fought the guy a couple times before and I-"

"Barely got out alive." Espio finished. He looked up ahead. Vector and Charmy seemed to be talking about the area. The bee wanted to explore while the crocodile went against it. "Like it or not, we're all in this together. If one is a target, all of us are."

Silver looked down. Espio was right. Last time, he nearly collapsed after straining his powers so much. The time before that...he didn't want to think about it. "Hey Espio? Thanks for having my back on this one. Vector and Charmy too."

"My pleasure."

Up ahead, the tow Chaotix had stopped at a split in the path. One side led to an open slope that presumably went down towards the base. The other was a short tunnel. It was difficult to see past either. Quite honestly, both even seemed to look the exact same.

"Hm, which way do ya think is quicker?" Vector asked, looking back and forth between the split.

Charmy flew right in front of him. "Maybe I could go in ahead and-"

"No way! Too much can happen. This base may be down, but some bots still hang around."

Espio touched the ground of the slope and paused for a moment before doing the same with walls of the tunnel. He briefly glanced up before pointing toward the underground passage. "This way. Stay vigilant though. The enemy could come out from anywhere."

The four headed through the tunnel, careful to check if any traps existed before moving forward. Espio did find some, however, they were strangely deactivated. Once they exited the tunnel, the chameleon had found a lever right outside the opening.

"Doesn't seem like anyone was here." Charmy flew around, mostly staring at the lever.

Vector grabbed out a fingerprint duster. It was them that he noticed his gloves. "Ya know, I forget sometimes that we all wear gloves." He put it away before joining Charmy in investigating the lever.

As he quickly moved around the long stick, the bee finds something. "Hey! Look at this!" Pulling out a thin string, the bee held it up.

"Let me see that." Vector held his hand out. The bee placed the strand on his large glove as the crocodile grabbed out a magnifying glass to inspect it.