* Chapter 4: Getting to Know You

Knuckles stared at the large screen in the command room, hands shaking at what he saw. One of his worst fears had come true. Rouge was captured. In all the time she had been on the Death Egg, he was just waiting for something like this to happen. After a month had gone by, he had started to relax...but even after that time, the worst had still come.

He was the commander, the leader. How could he let one of his own get captured in the worst possible way? Especially by the enemy who had caused everyone so much pain to begin with. That jackal.

"Just try to help her, I dare you."

The jackal's words rang through his head, constantly reminding him of this failure. Once he couldn't take it anymore, the commander went over toward one of the room's brick walls and smashed his fist into it. Although his hand didn't go through, a large dent was still left.

Amy averted her eyes and went back to her computer. She understood that this situation was frustrating for the echidna but did he really need to take the base down with him? She took in a breath to calm herself down before asking, "What do you think we should do?"

Knuckles sighed and tried to take in some deep breaths himself. Once he was composed, he headed over towards the pink hedgehog. What should they do? As much as he didn't want to send anyone in, especially since that's exactly what the jackal would expect, what choice did he have? He sighed once again and answered, "We should send out a small team to rescue her."

"But Knuckles-" Amy gasped slightly. She wanted to tell him that it would be a suicide mission. It wouldn't matter how many were sent, they would all be taken down! Knuckles cut her off before she could finish though.

"Sonic...Sonic is dead, Amy, and I haven't even been able to get in touch with Tails! For all I know, he could be gone too!" The red echidna sat down on one of the boxes and stared at the ground. "Rouge and I may not get along all that much, but she is still a friend, and I don't want to lose any more of those."

Amy looked down. When he got his mind on something, there was nothing that could be done to change his mind. "Alright, if you really want to." She types a few select keys on the computer.

Small watch-like wrist bands came out of a drawer. After she had grabbed them and pushed the drawer back in, she headed over to Knuckles. The red echidna looked up at her in disbelief as she held out the watches. "While I still don't agree with this plan, I'll let you do what you have to do." She stopped and pulled the watches back before he could grab them. "Just don't go it alone, okay? You're just one guy in this thing and I don't want to lose another friend either." She looked down at the ground before solemnly holding the watches out.

Knuckles knelt down next to her. "Hey, don't worry about me. I'll be sure to grab some soldiers to take with me. I know the Chaotix'll have my back." He grabbed onto the watches and turned to leave.

Amy waved to him, giving a slight smile. Although she wished he didn't have to go, it was perfectly understandable. If Sonic were there or perhaps even Cream and Cheese, she wouldn't hesitate to grab her hammer and raid the base. All she hoped was that Knuckles knew what he was doing. "Good luck."

So much had gone wrong for the Resistance these past few months. Hopefully one thing can at least go right. Knuckles gave a nod. "Thank you. I'm gonna need it."

💥———✨———💦———✨———💥

A few members of the Resistance were sitting in the break room. Charmy had grabbed a snack from the vending machine while Vector listened to music on his headphones. Despite having these things to occupy themselves with, the two still gave each a glance. They hadn't been sent out in a while.