Chapter 10: Turning The Tides

"Alright. That will conclude our session today." Amy said as she closed her notebook and put her pencil in the rings on the side. Both Wendy and Sonic were in front of her.

Wendy, though relieved the session was over, at least seemed to be smiling. She gave a nod to Amy and began leave the chair she was sitting in. Sonic was smiling too. Most likely because he was glad to be getting out of the same room as the pink hedgehog. He uncrossed his arms and legs as he stood up.

Amy began to stand up and was about to head toward the door to let them out when a voice came over the intercom. It was Knuckles. "Sonic, come to the command office. I need you for something." With a click, the com went off.

"Finally, I was beginning to wonder when I'd be let out somewhere." Sonic stated as he boosted off past Amy.

"But Sonic, I don't think you're ready to-" Amy started, but the blue blur had already sped off, "...go yet." She finished. With a quick glance at Wendy, the pink hedgehog headed toward Sonic's destination. The wolf followed close behind.

Once Sonic entered through the grey, metallic door, he saw Knuckles staring at a screen in the front of the room. On that screen was a map of the surrounding area. Many of the dots on it were red however a few blue ones were popping up. A tag next to certain patches of land stated the name of a known Eggman base. Many were blue and dismantled however there was one in particular that was still active.

The red echidna sighed. He turned around to face the three others in the room, however only addressed one of them. "I'm sorry about having to call you in so soon, Sonic, but I need to send you out on a mission."

Amy, who had just arrived with Wendy, stomped her foot. "What?! Knuckles! He just came back two weeks ago! He's still recovering! You can't send him off now!" She crossed her arms and looked at the ground. Wendy placed her hand on the pink hedgehog's shoulder and nodded to back her up. The wolf may not know Sonic all that well but even she still needed more time to recover, and she only had a single experience that didn't include her being beat.

"I know how you feel about this, but if we want to snuff out the Eggman Empire, we're going to need Sonic's help."

"But..."

"There's no buts Amy." The red echidna went over to Sonic and pointed toward a particular spot on the screen. "I've sent out everyone I could, even tried to get Shadow. He refused though and ran off. Probably for the best." His brows furrowed when he added the last part. Clearing his throat, Knuckles continued. "Silver might have been able to get past, but he's on a mission with the Chaotix to an abandoned Eggman base. The only one who could get in and out is you, Sonic."

"I still don't even understand why you sent Silver out. He's already in enough danger." Amy huffed, crossing her arms and biting the inside of her cheek. When Tails had returned, one piece of information he gave was that Eggman had sent Infinite to take out Silver. The reasoning was simple. They couldn't afford to lose him though. Even after everything, he was still the strongest fighter they had and the one thing they didn't have when his future was taken over. Amy was perplexed as to why Knuckles even took that chance in the first place.

"Look, I know how much you disliked the decision but at the very least, we know where he is. You know he would have just gone off anyway no matter we said. At least now he has the Chaotix with him." Knuckles explained.

"Fine, fine. I'll give you that one, but why couldn't you just send Shadow or something?"

The echidna looked down. His face seemed to scrunch up. "Like I said, he ran off before I could get him on a mission. If I'm being honest though, that traitor is lucky we're even letting him stay here."