Chapter 12: The Ruby's Curse

"What?!" Wendy exclaimed. The azure hedgehog wanted to fight that...creature. Although she was against it for very clear reasons, the very thought of charging at an unknown opponent seemed like quite a bad move. All she saw was the knife, but with the things she'd seen in battle, other abilities could be present. It wasn't a smart move in her opinion to go in without having at least a plan.

Sonic stood with his feet placed firmly on the ground, facing the opponent. He thought the opposite. Beat up the enemy, put in the chip, destroy the base, head back to the Resistance. Simple plan with that first added step that wasn't supposed to be there. He should have known something like this would happen though.

When the wolf gave her exclamation, the azure hedgehog looked back at her. "Well, if you feel that way, maybe you should sit this one out."

Wendy raised an eyebrow. Her tail went between her legs. It was difficult to tell if she was annoyed or scared. Could be both. "I-I'm not say to abandon the fight, I'm saying we should have a plan-!"

Before she could finish the sentence, the hedgehog already started to run off toward the opponent. Wendy sighed and shook her head. She was about to walk off and just let him deal with it when her eyes caught a glint of something on the figure. The brown wolf went wide-eyed. She leapt forward, snatching onto Sonic's arm and pulling him down.

"Hey! What gives?" The azure hedgehog asked, yanking his arm back and brushing the dust off his legs.

A couple seconds later, a sharp object pierced the ground. Apparently, the figure had tossed a knife out the second Sonic decided to advance. Wendy wasn't sure how she saw it but one second later and she would have had to call in a medic. "Look, I don't mean to tread on your toes but, we really need a strategy." She emphasized.

Sonic hopped up and glared at the figure before looking back at Wendy. "I appreciate the help, but I'm fine on my own." He turned away from her.

Another glint of light showed up. The brown wolf gasped and gripped Sonic's arm once again. "You're not listening to me!" She exclaimed, still keeping a watchful eye on the figure's motions. "Twice has that...that creature nearly stabbed you and you just want to walk back into it? Are you out of your mind?!"

Once again, the azure hedgehog yanked his arm back. His fists tightened. "Look, we're in the middle of a battle! I get that you don't want to fight, but this has to be done if we want to take out this base! If we sit here any longer, who knows what Eggman will do!"

Wendy's ears folded and her tail wrapped around her leg. Although she still believed she was right, Sonic had some sound reasoning as well. "S-so-" She was about to apologize when her little red wisp made himself known.

The little guy flailed his arms around, shouting his wisp gibberish at the top of his lungs as he pointed at Sonic's hand. It was glowing a bright pinkish-red. Wendy raised her eyebrow. The glow appeared to be getting brighter. It didn't seem like all that big a deal until slight red cracks formed on Sonic's gloves. Her red wisp's cries became even louder than before as he tried to smack the azure hedgehog's hand. Now she got the message.

For the third time, Wendy grabbed Sonic's arm, pushing him to the ground behind a generator to avoid the creature for the time being, getting an exclamation from the azure hedgehog. This time, though, she wasn't grabbing it to hold him back. With a swift hit, she smacked a nerve on his arm, causing his hand to open automatically as Sonic pulled his hand back to nurse the sudden pain. Surprisingly though, he didn't make any remarks questioning the action.

The little red wisp flew back over toward Wendy, however, dove down after passing her. He hovered over a small icosahedron gemstone. So that was what the glowing was! She almost forgot Sonic had it. The brown wolf picked it up. The gem didn't seem to react to her. No glowing or even a warm feeling. Certainly no cracks.