God's Gift

"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them."

~Desmond Tutu

        Evie frantically scrambled around the apartment, trying to make sure they had everything packed. She hated this last minute frantic state she got in right before a trip. Granted, she hadn't taken one in a while, but that may have made it even worse.

        "Did we get our toothbrushes?" she asked while rushing into the bathroom and throwing up the drawers to sift through the stuff inside to see if she missed anything important. She heard Spencer approach the doorway behind her. In the mirror out of the corner of her eye, she could see him lean against the doorframe with an amused look. 

        "Calm down darling, we have everything. Trust me." he said, watching her kneel down to look throguh the cupboards. She stood after searching through each compartment and put her hands on her face, taking a frustrated breath. 

        "I feel like we forgot something." Evelyn said, trying to rack her brain to see what they missed. When she wasn't looking, Spencer came up behind her and put his hands on her hips, pulling her back into him so he could lay a kiss on her neck. She sighed and melted into his touch. 

        "I never forget anything." he reminded her, making her smirk. 

        "Okay, genius." she said, feeling his arms wrap around her waist to pull her closer. He laid his head on her shoulder and nuzzled her gently. She enjoyed the moment until she thought about phone chargers. 

        "Shoot..." she muttered, pulling away from Spencer to rush into the bedroom and pull open the nightstand drawer next to her side of the bed. Empty. She must've already packed them. Maybe Spencer was right, maybe they did have everything. Evie supposed she was just nervous about meeting Spencer's mother. She meant so much to him so she meant a lot to Evie. Evs really wanted Diana to like her. 

        "Already have them." Spencer said, coming up behind her again to let himself fall onto the bed, pulling Evie down on top of him. She grunted from the impact, but smiled. Before she could even try to get away he secured his arms around her waist, pulling her tight. 

        "Spence..." she said gently as if to a child. She ran her hand through his hair causing him to close his eyes and hum happily. "I have to finish packing."

        "You are finished!" he protested, pulling her down closer to him so he could repeatedly kiss her all over her neck. She writhed in his arms, trying to get away but giggling in the process. 

        "Spenceeeeeeer." she whined, going limp and giving up as he continued to kiss up her jaw to her temple and back down again. 

        "Spenceeeeeeer." He mocked her in a high pitched voice. She laughed at his attempt to imitate her and just let him do what he wanted. She couldn't say she didn't love his spontaneous cuddly moods, especially after his strange outbreak a couple days ago when she'd tried to ask him what was wrong. She'd left him alone for a while and he hadn't bothered even talking to her. It wasn't until he crawled into bed with her that night to kiss her collarbone and tell her he was sorry when he finally gave in. 

        After Spencer got tired of kissing her all over, she just lied on his chest while he rubbed circles on her back under her shirt. She felt fatigue begin to take her over while listening to the steady sound of Spencer's beating heart and the rise and fall of his chest as he breathed. She could feel him drifting as well. It was only six thirty since their flight left at seven thirty. Shoot, their flight...