Reality Above Dreams

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."

~Dr. Seuss

The deafening sound of shots being fired filled the air. It was all Spencer could hear. He couldn't keep them straight; which ones were firing towards him and which ones were firing away. It made no difference at one point. Suddenly his whole world was being turned upside down; spun inside and out. It all happened in less than a second, but it all took effect in what seemed like slow motion.

The first thing he saw in the midst of the cross fire was the barrel of the gun across the street, pointed right at him. There was no place to run or hide. There was no time to undertake either one of those things either. He could only stand there as the black gun directed it's fatal bullet's path towards his chest.

The second thing he saw was only a flash of color at first. It was a person in his peripheral vision. He knew it wasn't Hotch, or Morgan, or JJ, or Rossi. They were all shooting from different spots behind him. Spencer's heart lurched as his eyes flickered to her for the fraction of the second he had. At the last possible point, she ran in front of him.

He didn't have time to yell out in protest. He didn't have time to even move his pinkie finger. In slowed time he watched in horror as the gun released, and almost at the same moment he watched her fall in front of him, the bullet burying deep into her abdomen. Spencer could hear someone cry out, and not until later would he realize it was his own horrified scream.

His one truest love hit the pavement, below the chaos of the shootout that carried on without her. Her gorgeous hair... her hair that always smelled of his favorite Eucalyptus and Rain. Her beautiful delicate body... her body that he spent so much time cuddling and kissing; it stilled. Her eyes... the ones that had caused him to fall in love with her in the first place, flickered with a glimpse of sparkling life one last time before they went empty and blank. His heart felt as if it was brutally ripped from his chest as he realized his worst nightmare had come true. Evie was dead.

************************************************************************************************************

1 Week Earlier

Spencer went running through the halls of the BAU, looking in every room as he passed, becoming more and more disappointed as he found each one empty every time. He ran down the steps to the bullpen, running to Evie's cubicle to find that vacant as well. Spencer groaned in frustration. Where was that girl?

"Hey, what's the rush, kid?" Morgan asked, watching Spencer with an amused smirk as he anxiously continued looking for Evelyn.

"Evie... Have you seen Evie?" Spencer asked, scanning over the people rushing around the room carrying out different tasks like every other day at work. He went to JJ's desk where she was tacking up a new picture of Henry to the wall.

"Have you seen Evie?" he asked. JJ looked up at Spencer and gave him a sympathetic look.

"No. Sorry, Spence." she said. Spencer ran his hands through his hair with frustration. He couldn't wait any longer to see her!

"Hey, woah." Morgan said, calmly walking over to Spencer with the usual Morgan-swagger in his step. "Calm down, Pretty Ricky. I think she might've walked into Hotch's office a minute ago to put her files on his desk." Morgan told him, holding his hands out in front of him in attempt to calm Reid down. He couldn't calm down though.

"Thanks!" he exclaimed before bounding off past the office cubicles and to the stairs where he jumped up to skip every second step. He ignored the stares of everyone his whizzed past and made his way to Hotch's office, pushing through the door. She stood in front of Hotch's desk, completely breath takingly beautiful like always. Her brown curls reached past her shoulders and her slim figure perfectly fit into her tight black pencil skirt and low cut shirt that drove Spencer off-the-wall insane. And one of the best parts was that Hotch wasn't there.