Addiction

"Addiction isn't about substance - you aren't addicted to the substance, you are addicted to the alteration of mood that the substance brings."

~Susan Cheever

Spencer unlocked his hotel door and pushed it open, revealing a standard decorated room that resembled nearly every other hotel they stayed at while on cases. Reaching back, Spencer grabbed his suit case and dragged it into the room, shutting the door behind him. It was quiet save for the low hum of the air conditioning going to work. Thank God for that too. It was deadly hot in Phoenix, especially at this time of year. 

Spencer opened the curtains to reveal the dark skies in contrast with the city lights of the capitol of Arizona. He was high up enough for the sound of the traffic below not to bother him, but he did however like the quiet murmur of the outside noises. He never liked it being completely silent.

Before he could even sit down, there was a soft knock at his door. Spencer yawned and smiled a  bit while rushing to get the door. He unlocked the latch and pulled it open revealing Evie standing outside in the hallway, looking as tired as he probably did. Whenever they checked into hotels for cases, Hotch would get enough for everyone to have their own, including Evie and Spencer. It was just more professional that way, but even though the team all knew that Evie and Spence ended up sharing a room anyway in the end, no one really acknowledged it. 

"Hey." she said sleepily, rocking up on her tiptoes to kiss Spencer on the cheek before walking past him into the room. He smiled and shut the door behind her, following Evelyn to where she sat on the bed and laid her pajamas out next to her. He assumed the rest of her suitcase was back in her room. That's how they'd usually set things up, anyway. 

She didn't hesitate for one second to start pulling her work blouse over her head, careful not to catch her ponytail on the zipper on the back. Spencer's breath never failed to falter when she started undressing. The bones and muscles underneath her skin moved perfectly with her body and he found himself wanting nothing more than to kiss her all over. 

Caught up in his own thoughts, Spencer didn't realize that she had taken notice of his not-so-subtle staring. She had an amused smile on her face as she watched him finally acknowledge that she stopped. 

Without a word she stood up and took a step towards Spencer, closing the distance between them in the small hotel room. Her small, fragile arms wrapped around his waist and pulled him against her body. Reid returned the notion, securing her in his arms and kissing the top of her head before resting his chin on top of it. He breathed in the scent of her shampoo and she nuzzled his neck while embracing him tightly. Sometimes he still couldn't believe this girl was his. The probability was little to nothing in his mind, and yet she loved him for some reason. 

"I love you." he whispered while running his fingers gently over her bare back, skipping over her bra strap and traveling up and down in a consistent pattern. 

Instead of answering, Evie looked up at him and raised herself on her tip toes so her lips could reach his own. She very gently kissed him, hardly even grazing her lips against his. Spencer closed his eyes and felt the familiar sense of warmth and excitement mixed with... a hint of sadness? Why did this make him feel so melancholy?  Something wasn't right. He could feel a sense of a rising sensation of  grief almost. Spencer couldn't quiet think of why that was. 

Meanwhile, Evie continued in kissing him a bit harder this time, Reid forgetting the odd feeling he had at the pit of his stomach while kissing her back. He raised a hand to run it through her hair, carefully sliding off her hairband as he did, letting Evie's slightly curled brown hair cascade down the skin of her back. Their kissing intensified and it wasn't long before their was tongue involved. A fire igniting in Spence's stomach, replacing that mysterious aching feeling. He ran his hands down to the tips of her hair until he pressed a hand  to the small of her back and  grasped her hip with the other, yanking her hard against him and making her gasp. He watched her close her eyes and bite her lip. He loved when she did that.