Chapter 2: The Legend Returns

Book 1: Hope
Chapter 2: The Legend Returns

Jiansu

As the siblings made their way back into their subway station campsite, their mother stood up and ran over to hug them.

"You're okay! I was so worried. What took you so long?" Kareena asked.

"We ran into some wolf-bats. No big deal." Akira answered.

"Oh my goodness, what happened?"

"We killed them. It's nothing to worry about Mom. We're fine."

"Okay, as long as you aren't hurt."

Akira assured her they were fine. Kareena looked at them worriedly.

"Are you okay, son? You haven't spoken." She noted.

"I'm okay Mom." Jiansu assured her.

"Are you sure? You didn't get bit did you?"

"No Mom, I'm fine."

"Are you tired?"

"Yeah, you could say that. I'm gonna lay down for a bit. Goodnight." Jiansu said.

"Well, okay. Goodnight then." Kareena replied.

Jiansu laid down on his bedroll against the wall and closed his eyes. Unfortunately, he did not get a good night's sleep.

In his dream he was walking in a green meadow. Looking around, he saw rolling hills and hulking mountains in every direction. Behind him was a city protected by large metal domes. He wasn't sure how he knew it, but the name of the city came to his mind. Zaofu. The name seemed so familiar, like it meant something to him, but he wasn't sure why. He looked down at his body, but was shocked to find it wasn't his own. He was seeing through the eyes of a very athletic woman. She wore a blue sleeveless kimono, but her arms were covered from bicep to knuckles with slip-on sleeves. She wore a fur skirt over baggy blue pants, and tall leather boots. Jiansu couldn't see her head, but he could feel her hair sweeping against her ears. She walked a few feet forwards and stood on the edge of a cliff overlooking an army.

The dream shifted and suddenly the woman was standing face to face with the army. Jiansu recognized the green uniforms. These were Earth Empire soldiers. The dream shifted again, and the woman was on the edge of another cliff, fighting a young boy with glowing red eyes. The boy pinned her to the ground, and a red and black spirit emerged from his mouth. Jiansu didn't know how he knew it was a spirit, he just knew somehow. The spirit attached itself to the woman's face and tried to pull another spirit, identical to itself but blue and white, out of her. To prevent it, the woman encased herself in a sphere made of all four elements, and it dawned on Jiansu that she was the Avatar. She repelled the boy and rose to her feet. She turned and looked down into a puddle at her reflection, and Jiansu saw her face. She had icey blue eyes and chocolate brown hair. The blue and white spirit sank back into her body, and the reflection spoke.

'Jiansu, seek out the Airbender. He will guide you to your destiny.'

In the reflection behind her, the red eyed boy raised a boulder over her head. She turned and blocked the strike, retaliating with Airbending, and the dream ended.

Jiansu awoke with a jolt. He looked around at his surroundings to make sure he wasn't still dreaming. Luckily he was back in the subway station, surrounded by outcasts like himself. Akira was the only one awake. She was sitting by the campfire watching Jiansu.

"You acted like you were having a nightmare. What's wrong?" She asked.

Jiansu moved over by the fire and quietly told her about his dream.