Chapter 4: The Firelord's Court

Book 1: Hope
Chapter 4: The Firelord's Court

Jiansu

It was only their second day at the Western Air Temple, and they were already leaving. Jiansu packed what little belongings he had and carried them to Taima's saddle. Akira and Kareena were already on his back. Gyatso flew in on his glider and landed next to Jiansu.

"Everyone ready?" He asked.

The siblings and Kareena all nodded.

"Let's go meet the Firelord." Jiansu climbed up in the saddle.

Gyatso jumped up on Taima's head and took the reins. "Yip-yip."

The bison bellowed and lifted off. They gained altitude until they were above the clouds, then they headed south.

They arrived in the Fire Nation later that day. The palace city was nestled in the crest of a dormant volcano. Skyscrapers with a traditional style of architecture rose above the rim. Taima landed in front of the largest building in the city; a gleaming palace. Guards came out to talk to them.

"State your business, trespasser." One of the guards demanded.

"I'm here with the Avatar. We have a meeting with Firelord Yasmin." Gyatso informed them.

"She's been expecting you. Right this way." The guard beckoned.

'Last chance to turn back.' Jiansu thought, but he took those steps towards the palace.

The guards led them through a massive set of gates and along a path to the palace. Once inside the massive structure, they made their way down a long hallway with support pillars on both sides. Each one had a carved dragon coiled around the base.

They turned forty-five degrees left at the end of the hall and passed through a set of double doors. Sitting sideways on an obsidian throne with her legs propped up on the armrest was an athletic girl with glossy black hair and amber eyes. She was wearing a long black dress with a slit on one side that revealed her thigh. In her topknot was a gold hairpiece in the shape of flames. Despite her regality, she looked like she was only about eighteen years old.

"Ah, you must be Avatar Jiansu. Welcome." The Firelord said.

Gyatso bowed. Jiansu and his family followed his lead.

"Rise, rise. I'm not one for formality. Now tell me Avatar, what is your story?" The Firelord wondered.

Jiansu explained how he'd grown up in the ruins of Republic City because his parents were hiding from the Earth Empire. He told her that three days ago, he'd discovered he could Airbend, so he went to the Western Air Temple to train, but they told him he had to learn the elements in order of the Avatar Cycle, and sent him here.

"So now you're here to learn Firebending?" She asked.

"Yes, Your Majesty." Jiansu answered.

"Please, call me Yasmin." The Firelord insisted.

"Yes, Your Majesty. Oh, right, sorry."

"In half an hour we will hold a meeting to decide who will teach you." Yasmin explained.

"Thank you Your... I mean, Firelord Yasmin."

"Of course, Avatar Jiansu. Servants, please escort the Avatar's family to the meeting hall. I wish to speak with him in private. Jiansu, with me." Yasmin said.

Jiansu followed Yasmin out of the throne room and down a smaller hallway. She led him to a chamber about half the size of the throne room, though it was still a bit larger than the subway station back in Republic City. Against the back wall was the largest bed Jiansu had ever seen, with those silky curtain type things around it. There were over a dozen wardrobes and all sorts of things Jiansu couldn't name. It had a desk with a large mirror and a makeup station. A massive flatscreen TV hung from the wall. The windows stretched all the way from the floor to the ceiling, and ran the entire length of the wall. They were propped open on horizontal hinges, swinging upwards. Yasmin walked over to the windows and flipped a switch on the adjacent wall. The windows lowered and closed automatically, and the curtains slid shut.