Chapter 11: The Spirit World

Book 1: Hope
Chapter 11: The Spirit World

Akira

After all that Akira had been through, she was glad to be home. Too bad she had to leave soon. After another healing session with Huang Gi, she felt a lot better. Gyatso helped her to her feet.

"How are you feeling?" He asked.

"A lot better now, thanks."

"Seeing you like that, it was scary."

"I'm okay now." Akira assured him.

"It was my fault. I shouldn't have asked you to channel that much lightning. I didn't know what it would do to you."

Akira felt bad that Gyatso was beating himself up. He didn't know the risks of Lightning Redirection. Akira did, and she chose to do it.

She put her hand on his cheek. "Hey, it's not your fault. And I'm perfectly fine, so stop worrying."

Gyatso fixed his sky blue eyes on her. Akira could see the relief in them, like all he wanted was to know that she was safe. She stood on her tiptoes and kissed his other cheek. "I appreciate the concern, and I'm glad you care. I hope you never stop caring. But you don't need to worry about me. I'm the Avatar, and I'm always going to be in dangerous situations, but I don't want you to torture yourself by always fearing the worst. It's okay to lighten up a little."

Gyatso managed a smile. "Well, if you're forcing me."

"Oh you sarcastic little... mwah." She stole a kiss.

Gyatso laughed. "We'd better get going. Jiansu is waiting on us."

Akira's wingsuit has holes melted in it fronthe lightning so she took it off. Underneath she had on a red button-up shirt and black pants. She and Gyatso walked out of the subway station. Jiansu was standing outside watching the skies.

"Four airships have flown over in the past hour. We need to hurry." Jiansu said.

"Why aren't they searching the ground?" Gyatso wondered.

"The Empire is terrified of this place. There's a reason we lived here for so long without being found."

"When we leave on Taima, it needs to be from a different location. We can't risk leading them back to the subway station." Akira noted.

"Taima is hiding in the Pro-bending arena. We can take off from there." Gyatso said.

"Why would you ever go near that place? It's a death trap." Toghus told him.

"Not if you can fly." Gyatso replied.

"Point taken. You know, I used to play Pro-bending when I was younger."

Toghus looked like he was going to go into story telling mode, but suddenly an airship flew over.

"Get back." Jiansu snapped.

Everyone ducked back into cover. The airship passed over slowly, searching for them.

"We need to leave. Akira, Gyatso, are you ready?" Jiansu asked.

"Let's get on with it." Akira said. Gyatso nodded.

Jiansu turned towards Toghus. "Goodbye, old friend. We'll meet again."

•••••