Chapter 16 - Confessions

Without stopping all day, the last of the bodies are recovered by late evening.

After Jean delivers the bad news to the others, you each attend the final mass cremations.

Since discovering Marco, you hadn't so much as uttered a word or shed a tear. While everyone stands together grieving your fallen comrades, your eyes unfocus on the burning flames.

One by one, the others silently take their leave. Although he wants to comfort you, Marcel respectfully keeps his distance and returns to camp.

Leaving Armin the last with you, he quietly comes over and places a hand on your shoulder.

Seeing the empty glaze over your eyes, he knows there is nothing he can do to make it better. Deciding it's best to give you space, you're left on your own as the fires continue to burn.

A few hours later, you're sitting hugging your knees while you watch the last embers die out.

Dropping your eyes, you pick up a pile of dirt near your feet. You stare down at the tiny fragments of incinerated bones mixed in.

Not even knowing who they belong to, all you can picture is your beloved friend's face.

Standing up, your sight trails up as the wind carries countless ashes into the night sky.

Yuna: Goodbye, Marco.

~

By the time you return to your designated area, everyone is peacefully unconscious. After the past few physically and mentally strenuous days, you avoid waking them on your way in.

Instead, you sit somewhere secluded and continue to look out over the pits of ash.

Not long after, you hear someone approaching. Thinking it'll be one of your superiors coming to scold you, you turn to look.

But as you see a very familiar face appear from the shadows, you feel yet another unfathomable pain in your chest.

Marcel: Can't sleep?

Looking away, you nod. Meanwhile, he sits down beside you and warmly speaks.

Marcel: Annie kept a spot next to her for you.

Yuna: It's alright, I don't want to wake her.

Marcel: Have you changed those bandages since they first went on?

Despite getting a clean uniform, you still hadn't taken the time to properly care for yourself. With your health being the last thing on your mind, you contemplate whether to lie.

Sighing, Marcel moves closer and pulls out a new dressing and bandage from his pocket.

Marcel: Here.

Too psychologically drained to fight Marcel's insistence, you stay still as he helps you.

To his displeasure, when he unwraps it he finds your skin has already begun to knit with the bandage.

Marcel: Tsk. Can you take off your jacket? 

Grateful for Marcel's constant acts of kindness, you follow his request.