Chapter 24 - Royal Alibi

Inviting you out with him for your day off, Marcel and you see Porco and Bertolt already waiting.

Porco: Why'd you bring the Weed?

Marcel: Watch your manners, Porco. What he means to say is he's really excited to see you.

Porco: Huh?

Marcel: Don't pretend you don't like Yuna just as much as the rest of us. If you didn't, you wouldn't have tried so hard to keep her in your squad.

Porco: Idiot! If I hadn't, she'd end up getting some other poor squad killed!

Marcel: Right, right.

Heading off through the city, the lack of hostility between coming from Porco makes the time quite enjoyable.

Yuna: Hey Bertolt, have you heard anything from Annie lately?

Bertolt: N-No, not really... Have you?

Yuna: Mmm not recently. We traded letters a while back, but I guess she's been busy.

Walking beside him, you notice his face quite sombre. Perking up, an idea pops into your head.

Yuna: Next time I write to her, I'll mention you.

Bertolt: Huh?!

Yuna: I'll tell her to write to you too. 

Bertolt: No, it's okay—

Yuna: Nope! I've already decided. Then we can go visit her together.

Bertolt: Ahah, okay.

Chuckling at your childish grin, he gives in.

Bertolt: How have things been lately? You seem to be doing a lot better.

Yuna: It's still hard to accept that not everyone expected made it here with us. But it makes me even more grateful for the ones that did. 

Bertolt: The ones that didn't will always have a place with us.

Smiling, the pair of you treasure the memories you have all together.

Yuna: Jean seems to be doing okay. He's really followed in Marco's footsteps and become more of a leader.

When you mention the name, Bertolt curiously glances over.

Bertolt: What about you...?

Thinking honestly about an answer, your empty smile chills him to the core.

Yuna: Don't get me wrong; I really loved the others. But I don't think I'll ever forgive what happened to Marco. He will always be such a special person to me.

Feeling as though he's going to be sick, Bertolt barely manages to keep himself together.

Catching up with Marcel and Porco, he goes quiet for the rest of the morning.

After a while, you and Marcel split off from Bertolt and Porco as you had to be back in time for one of your disciplinary labours.

Yuna: Thanks for walking me back. You really don't have to.

Marcel: No, I want to.

As you walk along, you casually chat about things like a normal couple when something in particular comes up.

Yuna: Are you going to visit your hometown soon? Lib... Liber-something, was it?

Marcel's pupils automatically shrink at your frighteningly close guess.

Marcel: H-How did you know that...?!

Desperately trying to stay calm, he studiously listens.

Yuna: I think Annie mentioned something about it one time, but she didn't really say much.