Chapter 13 - Graduation

After what seemed like an endless three years, the time had finally come for your well-deserved graduation.

Commander: Give your hearts!

All: Yes, Sir!

As all 218 of you solute the commander, you proudly stand at the front with 9 other cadets.

From the order of the line, it went Marcel, Porco, Bertolt, Annie, yourself, Eren, Jean, Marco, Connie, and Sasha.

Captain: You have three options after you graduate the training corps today! The Garrison Regiment, the Survey Corps or the Military Police! Of course, the only ones allowed to join the Military Police are the top ten cadets that were previously named!

Despite having the privilege of choosing whichever three regiments you wanted, you were already certain of which one.

~

Connie: Yes! Now I'm finally gonna be in the Military Police!

Sasha: No more worrying about food!

Overjoyed to be finished, everyone celebrates while Jean sulks at a table by himself.

Jean: How'd I get ranked under Eren?! Damn!

Meanwhile, you and Armin stand beside Eren as Thomas and Samuel question his decision.

Thomas: Are you seriously not gonna join the Military Police, Eren?!

Samuel: Even after you got into the top ten and all?!

Eren: My mind was set from the very start. I didn't train all this time to live in the interior. I did it to fight the titans.

Thomas: We can't beat them!

But as Thomas dishearteningly exclaims, the rest of the room falls silent.

Everyone now staring; Marcel's eyes lock with yours as Thomas tries to justify himself.

Thomas: You know how many tens of thousands of people have been eaten so far... The answer was clear after we lost 20% of our population. Humanity can't beat the titans.

Eren: So? You're gonna give up because you think we can't win?!

Thomas: Well...

As Marcel chimes into the conversation, he looks somewhat concerned. Breaking away from his gaze, you continue to faithfully stand with Eren and Armin.

Eren: Yes, humanity has lost so far. That's because we were clueless about the titans! Material warfare is useless against them. We lost, but the information we gained in battle will lead to further hope!

Everyone silently listens as Eren encouragingly speaks.

Eren: Are we just going to throw away all the advances in fighting techniques that cost us tens of thousands of lives, just so we can be titan fodder?! To hell with that!

Balling his fist, Eren burns with ambition.

Eren: I'm going to drive out every last titan and leave these cramped walls! That's my dream! Humanity hasn't truly been defeated yet!