Chapter 4: Cat

The outside world is not fun. Mainly because other human beings exist. But also sunlight. Sunlight is really not fun. But the gentle breeze rustling your hair was nice. You had to journey out into the real world for supplies. Not for you, but for your cat.

Roughly a week after your collaboration with Calli, and a day after one you had with Amelia that is not in this story because I don't have enough ideas to dedicate a whole chapter to it. Anyway, the day after your collaboration with Amelia, you decided to buy a cat.

You hadn't bought a cat just because you felt like it in the moment. Months of thought and planning led up to the purchase of this cat. The stuff for the cat including the cat itself was expensive but you already knew that it was worth it. You now had a friend to keep you company all day.

After several minutes, you arrived at the pet store. Upon stepping inside, you felt like something bad was going to happen. And, sure enough, something bad did happen.

You were buying the supplies when the person at the cash register said, 'Hey, your voice sounds kinda familiar. And I feel like I've seen you somewhere before... I just don't know where.'

'Oh no,' you thought, panicking. 'I, uh, are you sure about that? I don't exactly leave my house often.'

'Hm... Maybe I'm thinking of someone else... Oh, I remember! You remind me of the streamer Y/N L/N!'

'Thisisbadthisisbadthisisbad-' Fortunately, your brain decided to work today. 'I've never heard of them.' And with that, you swiftly walked out of the store.

PIN PON! You stood up quickly. Maybe a bit too quickly as your vision blurred briefly. Anyway, you ran to open the door. 'KIKERIKIIII!' An excited, probably overly excited, phoenix leapt through the entrance to your home.

'Morning, Kiara.'

'Hey, Y/N!' She was a lot more energetic than usual. But maybe that was because you had invited her over so she could meet your cat.

You glanced down as you felt something soft collide with your ankle. It was your new cat. She was very fast but not the brightest. Kiara noticed said cat and squealed with excitement. 'She's so cuuuuuute!' Kiara exclaimed as she bent down to pick up the kitten. 'What's her name?' the phoenix asked as the two of you walked into your living room, your cat cradled in Kiara's arms.

'Kat,' you responded.

Kiara giggled. 'Nice one, Y/N. Come on, what's her name?'

'Kat,' you said again, with a bit more force this time.

'Did you really name your cat 'Kat'?'

'Why not. Besides, she likes it. Don't you Kat?' Kat hissed at you before snuggling closer to Kiara. This caused Kiara to laugh, just as you exclaimed, 'Hey! You liked that name when I bought you!' Now Kiara was laughing even harder.

With a sigh, you walked into the kitchen. Several minutes later, you returned with a bag of cat treats to find Kat sleeping on Kiara's lap. The phoenix noticed you staring at Kat and asked, 'You're really jealous of your own cat?'

'Wha- No!' Yes you were. There was no denying that. Ignoring Kiara's giggles, you sat next to her. 'I went through all the effort of actually going outside to get these for you and you decide to sleep when I give them to you?' Stupid cat.

Leaning back on the couch, you decided to tell Kiara about your adventures. 'Someone recognised me when I bought these.' Kiara did not look impressed. 'But, I managed to avoid total recognition and public exposure,' you added quickly, thus ending your story.

'Good,' was all Kiara said.

Both of you sat in silence for several minutes, your ears filled with the sound of Kat purring. Finally, she woke up and stretched. Before lying down on Kiara's lap. 'Lucky cat,' you were definitely not jealous.

'Here,' you said, offering the now open bag of cat treats to Kiara. She took a few and held them in front of Kat's mouth, who licked the food off her hand. This continued for a while until Kat seemed to get bored and wandered off somewhere, shortly followed by Kiara, presumably going to wash her hand.

The phoenix watched you closely when she returned. You had dozed off and while she was removing cat related substances from her hand. Kiara remembered the jealous look on your face when you saw Kat sleeping on her lap. Since the bird wasn't paying attention to you anymore, she got startled when your head fell onto her shoulder.

Now Kiara had a plan. Gently, she lowered you into a comfortable position and leaned back as you continued to sleep. Or so she thought.

Your head hitting Kiara's shoulder had not only startled the phoenix, but had awoken you from your nap. You were about to open your eyes and sit up when you felt Kiara lower you onto her lap. She didn't know that you were awake so you decided to enjoy this as much as you could.

This did not end up lasting for long, however, as at some point your hand had slipped of the couch and Kat was now licking it. You pretended that this had woken you up. As soon as Kiara realised you were awake, she stared into your face, a warm smile on hers.

Despite the fact that Kiara didn't seem to mind that you knew she would let you sleep on her lap, you had to get up. A glance at your watch revealed that your nap had lasted longer than expected and Kiara had a stream to get to.

You stood at your door, waving goodbye to Kiara with Kat in your other arm. As soon as she was out of sight, you closed your door. It was now that you realised how tired you were, even though you had been sleeping for several hours just moment ago.