Chapter 9

Cilan's POV

I ran back to the restaurant, with Iris in my arms. She was weak- turns out Burgundy did more damage to her then I thought. I sigh a shaky sigh as I make it to the front doors, where Chilli and Cress were, worried.

"Cilan... What happened?" Chilli asked, his eyes glued to the bloody wounds Iris had tried to hide. "... I'll explain later. Cress- the medical kit." I order, placing Iris carefully on a couch, with her head propped up with a few pillows.

Cress rushes in with the aid kit and I start carefully patching her up. She had several injuries... So I had Chilli jot them down.

... What? You thought I'd just let Burgundy get away with this without telling Officer Jenny?

I finally finish stitching up the deep cut on her wrist. Iris's injuries consisted of; a deep gash on her neck, a scar on her wrist, several gashes (most likely from the shattered glass), and possibly a twisted ankle.

My brothers left to tell Officer Jenny of Burgundy's crime.. Leaving me alone in the room with Iris. I gently stroke her head, watching her quietly sleeping. She is so peaceful when she's asleep.

I touch my cheek and realize I'm crying. I hadn't even noticed... I wipe my stray tears with a cloth and pull myself together. "... I'm so sorry..." I murmur to Iris.

It's my fault for not protecting her

It's my fault for Burgundy getting her.

It's my fault she's hurt...

"I... I'm so, so sorry..." I feel more tears roll down my cheeks and land on the ground.

It broke me.

Never in my life do I remember crying... I was always so calm. No amount of pain or curses brought me to tears..

But this was a different kind of pain.

This was a different kind of curse.

Pain I could've prevented.

A curse I give to Burgundy.

Someday she'll pay...

Someday Iris will be safe.