☞I See Us

"I think I'm gonna pass out," Your legs wobble as you walk with your boyfriend Matt towards the firehouse.

"What? You couldn't handle a single workout with me?" Matt teases you, throwing his arm over your shoulders and pulling you into his strong side.

You klick your tounge, "Okay Captain. If that's how it's going to be-"

He chuckles and gives you a kiss before continuing to walk with you. "You have to stay in shape babe."

"No, no, no no... You have to stay in shape," You giggle, "I'm a paramedic in charge, sir. I don't run into burning buildings. You do and that's why you have stay in shape."

Images from yesterday flush in mind. The running and the working out. Drained you completely. So while you're barely walking your boyfriend seems to be absolutely fine as he continues to tease you.

"Damn look at my baby over there," You tip your head towards the infamous ambulance. Shining and ready to go. You spot Silvie dumping equipment in it and you give her a wave.

"Wait. I thought I was your baby," Matt's eyes are furrowed as he takes in the loving looks you give your ambulance.

"At least my ambulance doesn't make me work out dangerously hard," You laugh and give him a kiss on the cheek. "I better go and help Brett."

"Oh no you won't," He grabs your wrist and pulls you back in his arms. "You don't get to leave me for an ambulance Y/LN. Not after what we shared yesterday."

You snort and roll your eyes muttering something along the lines of Matt being a workout freak. He laughs, his eyes are shining with adornment. He takes in the sight of you - his girlfriend, before he kisses you one last time. You hand him your bags and shoo him away before joining Silvie Brett in the ambo.

***

Silvie and you walk together into the firehouse, both of you are deeply conversing. "And then I told him to fuck off and you know what he said to me?"

Silvie stops immediately once the two of you arrive at the big common room. Your smile drops and your eyes turn a few shades darker in color.

Your boyfriend is hugging Dawson in the middle of the room. You wouldn't be unpleasantly surprised if they didn't date before she left. They were a really close pair, maybe they still are. They hug each other like they're two pieces that complete a puzzle and fit right in. She hugs him like they never broke up, if you didn't know any better you'd think he proposed to her or something. You bite the inside of your cheek.

"Aren't these our favorite girls!" Herrmann exclaims, rising to his feet the moment you two stand there for more than 15 seconds.

Dawson pulls away from Matt at that moment and locks eyes with you. "Y/LN it's so good to see you." She says smiling from ear to ear, her arms wrap around you in a hug. Not knowing what to really do you hug her back briefly before putting on your most normal face. "I have to go get something from my locker. I'll be right back though. It's good to see you too Dawson."

You turn on your heel and March down the hall without turning around for Matt. He still has feelings for her. It's obvious.

You having to go get something from your locker wasn't a lie at all. You were planning to go get something but it wasn't urgent at all, you just wanted to see Matt before that. Now someone else is going to look at him for you.

Dawson is a nice girl. She's Matt's match in every single way and that makes you question. How on earth you two managed to get together? It takes you three tries to unlock your locker and that only makes you more angry.

You grab what you need from your bag that's neatly settled inside of the locker. Matt's always way too careful with your things. You shut the door of the locker harshly. It echoes in the room, the loud impact you made is quite strong. Shaking your head you lean against the locker and put your head in your hands. Why am I feeling this way?

It's absolutely normal that the ex girlfriend and the girlfriend don't like each other. Strong feelings you had for someone before are bound to resurface at some point. You start mentally preparing for the news of her permanent return to Chicago. Why would Matt stay with you when there's someone like her waiting for him as well?

You bang the heel of your foot against the locker. "Everything okay baby?"

You stay silent, now not being able to look at him suddenly. "It's nothing Matt."

"No it is something," His big body appears in front of yours. "Tell me what's wrong?"

You remember the day you two agreed to keep no secrets in your relationship. No secrets. Ever.

"I want us to be honest with each other Y/N."

"Does Dawson still have feelings for you?"

There's a beat of silence and you hang your head low, tears threatening to spill from you eyes. We were literally okay an hour ago.

"Hey Y/N look at me." His hand rises your head. It's warm against your skin and it sends tingles all over your body. His eyes that you love so much look deep into your soul. "I don't know her feelings but I do know mine."

You stop breathing.

"I love you. You are my girlfriend Y/N. What Dawson and I had is now in the past and I only look in the future. And you know what I see?"

You shake your head.

"Right now I see us kissing until we're undressed. And in the future - I see you and me somewhere where it's sunny."

You laugh lightly before replying sarcastically, "A vacation outside of the sunniest city in America?"

He grins and leans in, "I love you. No one else. I'm honest."