☞Squad Members

Mills is finally transferred and accepted in Squad 3 after he finished his training and courses.

The first shift with a new squad member starts off calmly as you all wait for Peter to arrive.

Capp, Tony and you are playing cards while they both make fun of your card skills. Kelly, who sits at the head of the table looks deep in his thoughts.

"C'mon Severide relax a little." Capp pushes his shoulder to ease him up.

"I haven't seen you this nervous since Y/N joined Squad." Tony comments before placing his winning card on the table.

Capp swears and you huff, defeated.

"You were the one that fought for him to be on squad." You say and lean in your chair.

"Are you asking me if I regret my decision?" Severide gives you a look to which you just raise your hands in the air.

"Nope. Just saying." You mumble.

Not only were you a member of squad 3 but you were also the only female to make it to squad so young. At only 22.

Severide also stood up for you the same way he did for Mills, because he saw the drill both of you had for it.

Kelly wasn't nervous, if anything, he was excited that his rescue squad is finally going to be completed.

"He's coming, he's coming." Capp sings.

All of you turn to look at him, he didn't have the best relationship with truck so it was your job to make him as comfortable as possible in squad.

"Hey Mills!" Kelly stands up, smiling from ear to ear. He gives Peter a hug and a pat on the back. Soon, he's followed by Capp and Tony and in the end you.

"Welcome to squad Mills!" You smile brightly before pulling him in a reassuring hug. "Take a seat."

Peter exhales and closes his eyes when he makes himself comfortable in his swirly chair. "So this is how being in squad feels like."

"Yep." You say.

"As you can see it's much MUCH better than where truck is." Capp empathises his words when he sees Otis, Herrmann and Cruz walk towards truck.

None of them glance at Mills for more than a second but rather make a harsh comeback at Capp.

"Welcome to the front line in this ongoing squad and truck war." You tell Mills before settling in to start another card game with Capp and Tony. "Severide and Mills, you either join us or take a walk."

"She's the boss of the table." Tony tells Peter and everyone starts laughing.

***

"Running is the most essential part of training." Currently, Mills and you are gearing up to go over a set of training courses.

You were more than glad to be asked to accompany him during training. He asked you himself.

When he puts his jacket on you can't help but whistle. "Mills. Squad 3. Congrats once again."

His smile is dashing, "Thank you."

Once the two of you make your way outside you start running.

"How long did it take you to make to squad?" He asked you.

After a moment of calculation in your head you tell him, "4 years. I became a truck candidate at 18."

"So you wanted to be a firefighter real bad huh?" He tries to keep up with your pace.

"Yeah... Because of my mom."

"Did she?" It takes you a second to realise what he meant. You shook your head quickly.

"No no... She's alive. She's actually a chief at firehouse 32." After you said that you saw that he wasn't running next to you anymore. You stopped in your tracks to see him standing behind you stunned.

"What?" You laughed.

"Your mom is Chief Y/LN?" He was starstruck. A whole new light shined over you now.

"Yeah I thought you knew. It's not that hard to figure out." You say and start walking back towards him.

Your mom is considered an idol to all female firefighters. She made squad young and was eventually promoted to a squad lieutenant.

"I heard she has dozens of medals." He tells you. You're not running anymore, but rather walking and comfortably talking to each other.

"She has them displayed. Medal of Valor, Service Recognition Medal, Medal of Honor, Medal of Courage, Medal of Gallantry, Firefighter of the Year... I don't know." The list goes on.

"So I take it you're close to her?" He says, unsure. You just nod.

"She's my hero. I wanted to be a firefighter just like her. You know, make her proud." You say.

Peter realised how much you two had in common. He came to firehouse 51 where his father Henry Mills had worked until his death in a fire during a call with Chief Boden. From then on, he was determined to become a firefighter, something his mother had a hard time accepting.

Both of you wanted to be just like your parents. Strong and determined firefighters.

"Yeah I know." He says sadly.

"You'll be good in squad Mills. Ignore them." You refer to the truck. "They were like that when I transferred too."

"I bet they were devastated about you leaving." Peter teased you with a smile.

"They knew it will come sooner or later." You remember your transfer vividly. "Besides I'm no cook. I bet they're devastated an amazing cook is on our team now."

"Oh so you think I'm an amazing cook?" He smirks.

"I don't know. That's what I heard. I never tried your food so I can't say for myself." You always made food for yourself and refused to torture the poor candidates. That's why you were the most loved person in the whole house.

After those words left your mouth your footing messed up.

Time seems to slow down when you're falling. In the seconds it took you to reach the ground you knew it was going to hurt.

Your groan is enough to drain Peter's face and he drops to the ground to help you.

His face is serious but the moment he sees you smiling and soon after that laughing, a smile breaks out on his face and he starts laughing with you too.

"For an advanced and well respected squad members I'm quite clumsy." You note as he brings you back on your feet. Thankfully you didn't tear any parts of your skin because of the gear. "Where were we?"

"I was just about to ask you if you wanted to have dinner with me after shift." He smiled. "I'll make you some of my amazing food."

You punch his shoulder playfully before nodding your head, blushing the tiniest bit. "Alright. I'm in."

He opens his arms to give you a hug you gladly accept. "But right now. I'm training you. Keep moving."

And with that you sprint with him following behind you.