3: New Faces

In my dreams I saw a flurry of clocks all ticking, faster and faster, it was quite chaotic but for me it was comforting. This was the clock room in my home in Russia. Every clock that the children and my ymbryne had come across they had put in here. Some clocks were off by seconds so there was the constant sound of ticking.

I remembered the hours I spent in that room, simply existing. The room gave me a sense of calm as it reminded me of my peculiarity. It was one of my core memories.

Then the hectic ticking of the clocks came to a sudden stop as all at once they crashed to the floor, glass and wood and stone flying in every direction. I shielded my face from the shards but before any could hit me I started falling.

Further and further until...

I woke up back in my bed, or at least the bed Miss Peregrine had given me. Although the dream hadn't been outright scary it had given me a sense of dread in my stomach which I quickly suppressed when I looked outside.

The sun had set and I knew that supper would be very soon. In a rush, I threw off my mud-covered modern-day clothes and threw on a pretty green dress I had brought with me. It matched the decade I was in perfectly, a mix of frilly and sensible.

I looked into a mirror, I hadn't noticed on the wall beside the wardrobe, although I look a little disheveled and tired my brown eyes still shone and my light brown hair hung over my shoulders in a mess.

Quickly I walked over to the bathroom Miss Peregrine had told me about and washed my face. Next, I found a hairbrush in the closet and decided that the owner wouldn't mind terribly if I used it, so I brushed out my hair until there were no more knots. Finally, I pinched my cheeks to give my face some color before I rushed out again.

My feet pounded on the stairs as I ran down reaching the hallway I had seen the children peering at me from earlier. Clearly, I was late as behind an open double door were 9 faces, seated at a long dining table, who all turned to look at me.

One was Miss Peregrine, another was the doll-like girl with the golden curls who had waved to me earlier. I quickly scanned the other seven faces before Miss Peregrine stood up and walked next to me in the doorway.

"This is June Myristica," she said as all the clattering of plates and chatter came to a stop, "she came today from Miss Avocet's loop in Derbyshire and she will hopefully be staying with us."