7: Cherished

I lay on my bed reading my old worn-out copy of Alice in Wonderland. After lunch, everyone had either gone back into the house or continued to play football in the garden. I looked over at the clock I had in my room to see that it would be supper soon. The sight of the lone clock made me sad, reminding me of the clock room in my old loop. I wish that I had more clocks, I thought, maybe they sold clocks in the town. That made me realize I hadn't seen the town yet but there was still time for that, after all, I hadn't even seen the entire house yet. 

My train of thought was disrupted by a knock at my door. 

"Who is it?" I called out. 

I heard Emma's muffled voice. 

"It's me," she said as she opened the door.

I sat up and she came over to the bed. 

"How are you enjoying our loop so far?" she asked, she was smirking so I knew she had ulterior motives.

"I really like it," I said, but she kept staring at me eyebrows raised I asked, "what do you want?"

"Well, I just noticed your little interaction with Enoch at lunch today."

"What about it?" I asked.

"Just," she said in thought, "I can't remember the last time I heard him laugh like that, like from happiness and not bitterly or sarcastically."

"Oh," was all I said, a feeling of warmth sprouted in my chest. 

I changed the subject fast.

"What's in the town nearby?" I asked.

"Just a couple shops and houses," she said, "the people there repeat their lives every day so they're not that interesting plus they're very wary of us. I'm sure we'll have a chance to go soon."

She looked over at the clock and hopped up.

"Supper," she yelled as she bounced out of my room.

I looked at my clock a moment longer, the dread in my stomach from the nightmare yesterday reignited. 

I shook it off and followed her downstairs. 

There was nothing to worry about. Right?

Sorry for the short chapter but my last chapter was so long and I didn't want to make it any longer. Don't worry more is coming soon ;)