32: Truly The End

Sunshine streamed in through a window. Like syrup it drizzled down my face and between the my shut eyelids. Slowly I opened and eye. Dust particles stood still in the sunlight.

I didn't believe in heaven, yet wherever I was certainly didn't seem like hell. I hadn't thought what would happen after death. An endless darkness that wasn't registered in the dead mind I had imagined. But this was completely different.

A floral bed sheet covered my body and something was wrapped around my neck. Very slowly I inched up, until I was sitting up straight. I was in a room with wooden flooring and wallpapered walls. Pain ached throughout my entire body when I sat up and I collapsed back down. I raised my arm to feel my what was around my neck. Cotton and bandages.

Was I... alive?

Surviving a cut throat and falling off out of a clock tower was impossible. Maybe the  cut throat I could've have survived. But both? It would be a miracle.

Unless someone saved me.

The only person who could've have guessed I was going to jump out was Horace. He had suspected this when we first had the prophetic dream, perhaps what I had said in the church had confirmed his suspicions.

I had no clue.

Slowly I staggered out of bed. Everything hurt like hell but I made myself do it. I needed to know where I was and what was going on. Slowly I hobbled over to the doorway and creaked open the door.

I recognized this hallway, I was back in Miss Chough's house. The hallway was vacant and I continued walking slowly to the stairwell.

I doubted my ability to walk down the stairs so I sat down and pulled myself down one staircase at a time.

Finally noise came to my ears. It sounded like a group of people. My friends?

I pushed open the wooden door of the living room to reveal a congregation.

"Hello?" I said meekly.

Everyone in the room spun around to face me. It was my friends.

Their faces stretched into big grins and laughter and tears as they all surged me.

"June!" cried Emma, "we had no clue you would make, oh June I'm so glad you're okay."

"We reckoned you were a goner!" laughed Millard, "how tragic that would've been, I'd have missed you so much!"

"My dear!" said Miss Peregine and simply hugged me.

All the rest of the voices muddled together and their bodies swarming me were suddenly pushed aside by Enoch.

He pulled me towards him and embraced me.

"Never do that again," he said. I could feel him crying into my shoulder.

"Ouch," I mumbled and he stepped away rubbing his eyes pretending to not be crying.

"Oi look Enoch is crying!" said Millard with a laugh.

"You would be crying too if she had died," he said shoving Millard.

I had missed this normalcy. Even if they were all chattering about me, I enjoyed the feeling of not being in danger.

Everyone else hugged and cried over me and finally I got to sit down, exhausted.

"How is this possible?" I asked, "I mean I fell of a building, no?"

They all shared looks and finally Horace spoke up.

"I knew what you were planning so I planned my own little counter-plan," he said happily, "a way for you to not die nor be hunted down by those awful wights."

"Well?" I asked.

"I decided to fake you death," he said.

My jaw dropped. That was genius.

"But how?" I asked again.

"He told us to prepare for the worst once we got out of the church," spoke up Hugh, "we didn't know if it would work but we hoped."

"We found an empty house near the square were the church is and waited," said Olive.

"And we stood out carrying a large canvas sheet we found, like you see those firefighters do," finished Claire.

"That's right, it was ridiculous really but we stood alert preparing for you to fall out and hoped the impact wouldn't kill you," said Horace, "I knew you'd fall out from there because of our shared prophetic dream."

"Still with the impact of falling from about 50 meters or so," said Bronwyn.

"So what?" I asked confused.

"Do you not remember?" asked Bronwyn.

"No? Remember what?" I asked.

"You did it yourself," she said, "you froze yourself in time."

"Yes, perhaps as a sort of final flight or fight action you froze yourself for a few moments," said Horace, "but enough to break your fall and for the canvas to catch you."

My jaw stayed dropped. How did I not remember this? The trauma of the moment, I guessed.

"Anyways, upstairs Emma, Jacob and Enoch finished off all but one of the wights," he continued.

"I saw them down below with the canvas but I knew they wouldn't be able to save you, until you saved yourself by stopping time," chimed in Enoch, "I realized what I had to do for you to be free so when I turned back around and there was only wight left we let him live."

"We all said things like "She's dead now. Are you happy?" And pretend you were truly gone," said Emma.

"Then in a grief stricken state we let him get away," said Jacob.

"And just for good measure we let him see us dragging away your unconscious body," finished Horace.

I was quiet for a moment.

"You did all this just for me?" I asked them.

They all said yes and variations of wanting me to be happy and free.

I got up and hugged them all. They had saved my life while I was trying to save their.

We had all saved each other's lives.

The wights wouldn't bother us anymore. We had nothing to give them. They would discuss all their evil plans to bring back their master Caul and hopefully they wouldn't come up with anything that bother us for at least a very long time.

Over the next few days, I met all the survivors at Miss Chough's house. Thankfully Miss Chough had survived and could reset the loop as well as some of the kids. Lee the rat had made it out too. From the ones that had died I only knew Grace. She had died saving my life.

Eventually we left Miss Chough's loop and travelled back to Miss Peregrine's house. It took a long time but we made it there.

We took weekly walks again. I read in the library. We swam in the sea. Life went back to normal.

And although normal can be boring for once I welcomed normal. I was with my friends and a boy who loved me very much.

If this was normal then I loved normal.

This time it's really the end. Sorry for that other ending it was just so funny watching everyone be sad. Thank you to everyone who supported me and commented. You guys rock.