17: I'm Not Peculiar

Another month had flown by. 

For Emma's birthday, I had made her a painting of us together with some watercolors I had found. I had forgotten how much I missed painting. 

Now it was December 2nd and I was panicking about what to get Enoch for his birthday, which was tomorrow! I couldn't think of anything to paint and there was nothing I owned that he would like. So I ran up to Miss Peregrine's room at the end of the hall and hesitantly knocked.

"Come in," she said in her usual calm tone.

"Hello Miss Peregrine," I said nervously, "I know it's a bit last minute but may I please go into the village today? It's Enochs birthday tomorrow and I have been in a frenzy trying to decide what to get him to make him." 

"Very well," she said immediately to my surprise. 

"Really?" I asked.

"I trust you June and along as you come home before dark and bring a friend with you it should be fine," she said, giving me a warm smile.

"Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!" I said jumping up and running out of her room.

"Wait June," she called out.

"Yes, Miss?" I asked.

"Pick a gift that's special to you because only then will it be special to him," she said.

I gave her a warm smile.

"The love guru trade is lucky to have you, Miss Peregrine," I said with a giggle as I shut the door. Before it closed I heard her laugh. 

I went to look for Emma and as I peeked my head into the living room I found Horace instead, sitting at the piano.

"Hey Horace," I said joining him on the piano seat, "any new dreams I should know about?"

"I had one two nights ago, it concerns all of us really, but what I saw was a boy," he told me, "he had dark hair and blue eyes. There were also hollows in the dream."

"Oh no," I said darkly, the time was sooner than I expected, "anything else?"

"The boy, I saw flashes of him with us. He was in the garden with Emma, he was sitting with us at the dining table. I believe we'll meet him soon," he said.

"A new face can't be bad, I hope," I said. 

"A good thing more like it," he said, "he's going to be very helpful in some way but I'm not quite sure how yet."

"Let me know if you see anything else," I said getting up.

"It's Enoch's birthday tomorrow," Horace reminded me, he had realized how close we'd grown. 

"I know," I said excitedly, "I'm going into the village now to find him the perfect gift. Whatever you do, don't tell him."

Horace nodded giving me a secretive smile.

I found Emma in the garden and we quickly set off into the village.

"It has to be just right," I told her, "I don't want him pretending to like it."

"I'm sure we'll find something perfect," she said just as a branch behind us snapped and we quickly spun around.

"Who's there?" asked Emma, cautiously. 

An imprint of footsteps appeared in the ground as Millard's voice came from the air.

"It's me, Millard," he announced, "I was feeling terribly bored and rather annoyed at aging another year in this monotonous loop so I decided to follow you."