20: The Storm

"June, Enoch," Emma said breathlessly, "Miss Peregrine needs us all, Miss Avocet flew here an hour or so ago."

"What?" I gasp, my old ymbryne was here I had to see her, "where is she?"

Emma leads us into the house where everyone was gathered in the entry hall. Outside the window, I saw that the sun was beginning to set.

"Good everyone's here," said Miss Peregrine sternly, "listen carefully, Miss Avocet flew here from her loop and she's very weak and sleeping. Her loop was ransacked by a hollow and a wight, unfortunately, her wards are no longer with us. But she was able to fly away here to warn us."

No, I think, this can't be true. All of my old friends were dead? 

I had to distract myself before I spiraled into a deep depression. There were matters to take care of. 

I wasn't able to save my friends in Miss Avocet's loop.

I wouldn't let that happen here.

"Are they already here like you suspected, Miss?" I asked filled with dread.

"Mr. Portman has informed me that many sheep have been killed on the modern-day island and now a man has been found dead," she informed everyone, "until we receive further information no one will leave this house. Not even into the garden."

Everyone groaned at that.

"But Miss-" began Jacob.

Miss Peregrine pulled Jacob into an empty room as we went into the living room and sat down.

"We're a bunch of sitting ducks," said Millard, "the hollow can just come and eat all of us if we're all in here."

Claire began to cry and Bronwyn comforted her.

"Hey!" Bronwyn said to Millard, "I'm sure everything will be all right and no one will be eaten."

"Pfft," said Enoch, "there's no point in living in a fairy tale."

"Stop being so pessimistic," said Olive.

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist," Enoch told her.

"Do you think he'll stay?" asked Emma doomfully. We were all wondering the same thing, Jacob was our only chance of survival.

"I hope so," I said quietly.

A little while later Jacob walked in by himself.

"She won't let me leave," he exclaimed, "my father's out there on the island by himself, I can't just abandon him."

"You're right," said Emma, I could tell her mind was racing, "we can't just sit here anyway."

"I have to go," Jacob said.

"If you're leaving then so am I," said Emma determinedly.

"What?!" I exclaim.

"You'll age forward," said Bronwyn, concerned.

"Only if I'm out there for hours," Emma said.

"You're going to risk your life for this boy you just met?" asked Enoch.

"I am," she said, "but not only for that."

"What else for?" asked Hugh.

"Well Jacob," she began, "this man who just died, where is his body being kept?"

Suddenly I realized what she was planning.

"Emma! You genius!" I exclaim.

"What is she talking about June?" asked Horace.