11: Heartbreak

The rest of the day I tried my best to distract myself with anything I could to not think about my dream. I played tea party with Claire, chatted with Emma, and helped Fiona with the garden. 

In the late afternoon as I was retreating into the house I ran into Millard carrying a pile of books. He was going down the hallway as he called out to me.

"Hey June," he said, "have you seen the library yet? I'm headed there now."

"There's a library?" I asked in surprise, I loved libraries, full of the smell of old books.

"Well of course," he said, "what kind of place wouldn't have a library especially one where you spend the rest of eternity."

"There was no library in my old loops," I said.

"Then they weren't very good loops," he said as we rounded the corner to an open oak door. 

The library was very magnificent. Although not very large it was crammed with bookcases overflowing with books. Everything was very neat and there were two tables with chairs set up for reading. The wooden floors creaked as I ran over to the nearest bookshelf and starting reading titles;

'Your Peculiarty and How to Control It'

'Finding Peace in the Deja Vu'

'The History of Syndrigasti for Dummies'

"That is the non-fiction section," said Millard from another shelf where he was placing books back, "those shelves over there are fiction, normals fiction and maps if you're interested."

I bounced over to the fiction section to see what I would find. 

'Harry the Talking Hound' was the first book I saw. Beside it were;

'The Adventures of a Baldhead Eagle Ymbryne'

'Perry Johnson and the Peculiar Theif'

Finally, I walked over to the normals fiction section to see if their copy of Alice in Wonderland was different from mine. However, my eyes landed on another book instead. A very worn-out copy of The Great Gatsby. 

Millard had wandered over to beside me to shelve books and saw me looking at the book.

"Ah, that one," he said, "Enoch's favorite."

"Oh," I said embarrassed and quickly asked, "what's your favorite?"

"I prefer non-fiction but if I had to pick," he said and in a more hushed tone he continued, "Little Women."

I burst out laughing, it was so unlike him, I would have expected the most scientific or geographical book would be his favorite.

"I love Little Women," I said excitedly.

I picked up the worn-out copy of Little Women and walked over to the table as Millard followed me. 

"You're definitely a Jo," I said, laughing.

"Well, you June are certainly an Amy," he said as laughed as well. 

I began reading the first chapter and felt Millard's eyes on me although I couldn't prove it as he was invisible. I looked up.

"Are you watching me?" I asked half-joking, "scared I'll tear your copy of Little Women." 

"Well, yes but no," he stuttered, "I was watching you but not because I was afraid you would ruin the book."

"Well, why else?" I asked.

"You're very beautiful, it's difficult not to stare," he said.

Oh no, I thought, this is not good. I didn't like Millard like this and now I would have to tell him. I decided it would be better to just avoid so I replied.