29: Fiasco

The wight held a firm grip on the gun, his other hand holding Enoch's shoulder. There was no way I could stop time quickly enough before the wight shot. It would immediately go through Enoch's skull.

They all looked a little bruised up, clearly it hadn't been easy for them to get here.
Enoch looked up, trickle of blood ran down from his hairline, and met eyes with me. That dull hopelessness seemed to disappear and a determined expression took its place.

"June..." he said but before he could get anything else out the wight shoved him roughly to the gun and with a grunt he fell silent.

My heart broke in a million pieces to see him in such a state. To see all my friends in such a state.

My moment of quiet was over though and the wights menacing voice began to speak as he sauntered up to me, Enoch in tow.

"Well, here you are June, took us a while to get a hold on you but now I think we've got you quite good. I mean you wouldn't want me shooting your little boyfriend here, would you?" he said, his mouth twisting into a deranged grin.

When I didn't answer he continued.

"Of course you wouldn't. And I'm sure you've thought about using your powers, two claps and poof everyone's frozen. But I'm just saying, this gun and his head and very very close to each other, and by the time your hands meet a lot can happen. Don't underestimate me," he hissed cruelly.

"What do you want?" I croaked, as my throat had gone dry.

"Oh! Not much, really. Just you. Come with us and no one gets hurt. Pinky promise," he grinned.

"What even do you want with me?" I asked.

"Simple really we just want you to come with us and help us bring back Caul. You're the final ingredient," he said.

Miss Peregrine let out a little gasp from the back of the room.

"That's right," said the wight not turning his back on me but addressing Miss Peregrine, "you recognize that name don't you? Dear little brother, coming back. Don't be scared. None of you should be. I'm sure if you all cooperate he will not decimate you when he becomes king of peculiarity. Why should WE have to hide?! Why should normal humans get to do whatever they want while we need to live in little loops?! Have you ever thought, maybe my ymbrynes lying to me, maybe there's more out there? Caul can help all of you. We're clearly the kings of humanity and we must hide no longer."

"You know that's not possible! It's-" began Miss Peregrine but was interrupted by the wight.

"Ah ah ah, I have the gun, stay quiet," he said and focused back on me, "so what will it be June? Come with us, all of your friends will be left alone AND you get to rule humanity with us. Or you can stay here and watch as I shoot him first and then maybe you'll stop time and the wights will come in from outside and one way or another at the very least the boy will be dead and we'll be back for you. What's it going to be?"

I stayed quiet for a moment.

I looked into Enoch's eyes and he gave me a slight shake of the head no, his expression communicated everything. He had just found me, he didn't want to lose me again. I felt the same but what was the point if he was dead. I looked over at the others. Some of them remained still while Emma shook her head aggressively telling me to not go. Finally I looked at Miss Peregrine. Her eyes stared intently into mine. She trusted me but she didn't want me to go either way. But...

She knew it was my only choice.

"Fine," I said finally, looking into the wights clear eyes, "I'll come."

"Ahah good girl," he said and pulled Enoch back towards the others.

With that he lowered the gun and brought his fingers up to his lips and gave a sharp and loud whistle. Almost immediately the wooden church doors burst open behind me.

In came several wights and from the smell of it, at least one hollow.

My jaw dropped in shock.

Before I could take action, a sharp pull took me away from the scene.

Leaving behind my friends and the wights and hollows for the darkness.

No one was dead yet.

We still had a chance.

Sorry for taking very long and only delivering a short chapter. I hope this will help with the suspense for now.