13: Reconciliation

One month.

One month since I had left Miss Avocet's loop in Derbyshire and come here to Miss Peregrine's. One month since I had met everyone.

I hopped out of bed and quickly put on a green dress before going downstairs for breakfast.

Over the past month, Emma and I had gotten closer. I had also spent more time with Enoch although nothing had happened, he had been very sour about Millard asking me out. Millard had begun talking to me normally again since I rejected him, luckily. Victor had been gloomy, still, but he put on a smile for the younger children.

A very good month, I decided.

After breakfast, we all went outside. I found Enoch sitting by the tree where we had first met. After making an excuse, I left Emma and ran over to him.

"Hello Enoch," I said as I plopped down beside him, he was fiddling with his Homunuculi.

"June," he said excitedly as he spun his head to look at me, he quickly replaced his smile with a smirk, "I remember that dress."

"You do?" I asked surprised, he didn't seem like he would remember what I wore.

"It was the dress you were wearing when I- I mean we met you, you wore it to supper," he said with a small smile.

"Aww you remembered what I wore," I said, I felt my cheeks warm a little.

"Yeah, well it's nothing I just notice," he brushed it off, blushing.

I rolled my eyes at him.

"Careful," he said with a smirk, "they'll roll right out of your head, we wouldn't want you missing your pretty eyes now would we?"

"Well," I said with a smirk, "I know you'd miss them since you find my eyes so pretty, so I'll stop rolling them."

I never did think my eyes were particularly pretty, they were just plain brown.

We laughed and I lay on the grass and propped my head up with my arms. I looked over at him fixing his Homunuculi and he noticed me staring.

"Am I truly so handsome that you can't stop looking?" he asked turning towards me.

I giggled.

"Maybe," I said with a laugh. He looked very flustered and it made me laugh even more.

"You know," I said, "your eyes are very nice too."

"Pfft," he said, "they're hardly special, they're just dark."

"What?!" I asked, I couldn't believe he didn't like his eyes, "they are such a lovely shade of brown, like chocolate."

He turned red but quickly smirked again.

"Well yours milady," he said pointing at my eyes, "look like drops of honey in the sun."

I wondered whether it was possible for Hugh's peculiarity to rub off on me, except with butterflies.

"Looks like I made you blush," he said with a laugh.

We sat in the sun, our silence comfortable.

After a while, Millard came over to us and Enoch's expression soured.

"Oh, um June," he began, "I was wondering whether you'd like to play football with us?"

I looked over at the football field, it was Hugh, Bronwyn, Claire, and Horace. Clearly, they were playing gentler so that Claire and Horace would join them. Victor wasn't among them and I assumed he was in the house.