8: No Knives for Unstable Men

It had officially been a week since I had arrived on Cairnholm and met Miss Peregine and her wards. The loveliest week I have had in a long time.

Today I chose a blue dress with frills at the end, one of my nicer dresses.

I walked out of my room and spotted Millard in the hallway.

"What are you doing?" I asked as I saw him peering down at a notebook.

"Just looking through my notes about what goes on in the island at every moment."

"Wow," I said, "you know everything before it's going to happen?"

"Well, everything in the town at least, yes. It took me ages to record everything."

"A waste of time if you ask me," said Enoch as he walked out of his room, the one adjacent to Miss Peregrines at the end of the hall.

"Oh hush," said Millard, "this is valuable information."

Enoch opened his mouth to say something but before he could I spoke.

"It sounds quite interesting to me."

Enoch just huffed and walked past us down the stairs.

Down in the dining room breakfast was eaten and everyone was about to get up to leave when Victor called out.

"How about a game of Raid the Village?"

I heard Emma grumble something.

"What's that?" I asked.

Victor smiled at me.

"Let me explain."

We were all gathered outside with Hugh and Victor standing at the front.

"Cairnholm village," began Hugh, "filled with normals whose lives repeat every day but they can't remember."

"So one day we decided to take advantage of that and create this game," continued Victor, it was clear they had explained this game before.

"We have selected an object each team of two has to retrieve and bring back here to Emma who will be our judge," said Hugh.

"Although killing the normals won't affect them," said Victor, "it is unnecessary bloodshed."

"So only kill if you're life is in danger," finished Hugh

"What's the object this time?" asked Millard.

"Mrs. Pritchard's engagement ring," said Victor and Hugh in unison as though they had rehearsed this.

"The catch is that right about now she is drifting off to sleep with it on her finger," said Hugh.

"And in the room beside is her husband, Mr. Pritchard, reading the daily newspaper with his rifle beside him and his two dogs."

"Oooh," said Claire with a shudder, "sounds dangerous, I'm excited to win." Who knew the sweet six-year-old had it in her, I thought.

"We have already made up the teams," continued Victor.

"Bronwyn and Claire."

"Millard and Olive."

"Hugh and Fiona."

"What a coincidence," Emma called out at that making Hugh and Fiona blush.

"Horace and I."

"And finally, June and Enoch."

At this Emma looked over at me and winked and I immediately knew she had forced Victor for us to be paired up.