Chapter 24.- "Please don't disappoint me"

(Please don't hold back in the comments, I love knowing every thought and emotion you experience as you read)

** The next chapter unfolds at the same moment in time, same time, different places and perspectives ***

...........

"You're tired now, lie down

I'll be waiting to give you the good news

It might take patience

And when you wake up it won't be over

So don't you give up...

We've got the time to take the world

And make it better than it ever was

That's what they'll say about us..."

.............

Tuesday morning

Mary (POV) Hospital

Many people don't understand why the relatives of patients refuse to leave the hospitals even when there is nothing they can do for them, they still prefer to stay there in the waiting room regardless of discomfort, lack of sleep and a decent meal, not to mention a little personal hygiene.

I think that people don't understand it because most have not had to face a similar circumstance, if life has taught me something, it is that in the blink of an eye, everything can change.

Yesterday after hours in the hospital I had decided to rush home to shower, change my clothes and take some changes of clothes for Finn, who I was sure would not leave that hospital until Millie did too, I ate something quickly and although my need for a quick nap was enormous, something told me that it would be better to return.

Everything changes in a moment, when I left Finn was next to Millie waiting for her to wake up and when I returned... I found a very different scenario.

Millie had woken up, went into crisis, threatened her life and the lives of others, Finn tried to stop her and now they were both unconscious, my stomach churned when I saw my son's blood on the carpet, I ran to his room to find him on his bed, pale, with huge eye circles around his inflamed eyes... he had been crying.

Now both of his hands were bandaged, just leaving enough space to connect the IV that hours ago he ripped from his skin.

If not because I heard the story in the voice of Sarah and after Caleb, I would not have believed it, part of me is grateful that I had not been here because I would have simply gone crazy seeing my son and Millie in that situation.

Finn had been unconscious for a few hours, Caleb was here the moment he woke up, he was checking his fever and his vital signs when a soft murmur made us realize that he was waking up, His eyes slowly opened, scanned the room for a moment and then locked onto us, it seemed like his mind was racing to understand what was happening until his sight went to the new bandage on his hand.

"Where is Millie? How...How is she? ... I need ... I need ". His voice is weak and anguished, it doesn't even have the demanding tone that characterizes it, he immediately makes an attempt to get up before Caleb pushes him back onto the bed.

"Finn, Stop...now listen to me...". He says firmly exercising his authority, I believe that at this moment he is completely Dr. Caleb, not his friend.

"Millie is still unconscious, the sedative was strong, she will sleep a few more hours."

"I have to go with her, I ...".