THIRTEEN

"We survived the first week of Senior year," Dex announced as they left the mall, each a slushie in hand. "Congrats,"

Sophie smiled. "I mean, we all had at least one free period, so it wasn't that hard."

"True," Biana said with a smile. "But I'm still glad we're celebrating with slushies." She held up her watermelon-flavored slushie and smiled.

They all walked to where they'd parked Maruca's car—they'd driven in hers because her jeep had the most room—and stood around the car, slurping their slushies.

"So, what're we doing next?" Jensi asked.

"How about the beach?" Maruca offered with a smile. "The sun's going down and I'm sure it'll be super pretty."

Sophie opened her mouth to agree with everyone else, but her phone buzzed with a text message from Edaline.

It said: When you get back, can you take Oakley on a long walk? Grady isn't here and she's very lonely.

Sophie looked up from her phone. "Hey, before we go to the beach, can we make a quick stop at my house?"

"Sure," Maruca said as everyone began to get in the car. "Did you leave something there?"

"Sort of," Sophie said with a laugh as they drove away. "I left the dog,"

Biana's eyes lit up. "You're getting Oakley? That's so awesome! She can run all over the beach with us and play in the ocean and do cool tricks and be the cutest little puppy ever."

"Well, she's not quite a puppy anymore," Sophie said with a laugh. "She's actually gotten really big. Like, adult Dalmatian size."

"How old is she?" Dex asked, cocking his head.

"I think she's two," Sophie said with a nod. "I'm pretty sure they stop growing at that age."

"Well she's still technically a puppy," Biana said with a grin. "She just doesn't look like one."

They drove for five more minutes before they'd made it to Sophie's house. She got out of the jeep, walked to the front door, said a few words to Edaline, put Oakley on her leash, and made her way back to the jeep.

"Come here cutie," Biana said as Oakley jumping in the back. "Come see your aunt Biana."

Oakley fumbled over to Biana and plopped down in her lap. Then she proceeded to lick Biana's hands and leave them all slobbery.

"Ew," Biana groaned, pulling her hands away and looking at them. "That's gross."

Dex snorted. "I think it's funny."

Biana smirked before taking her slobbery hands and rubbing them on Dex's face. "Is it funny now?"

Dex's face was pure shock for a good minute as the car erupted with laughter.

"Now, now, children," Maruca said--though she was laughing too. "Let's try not to kill each other in my car. I don't want the seats to be stained with blood."

"Who said anything about blood," Dex said, wiping his face off. "You'll just have to worry abut doggy-drool." He then proceeded to take the excess drool on his hands and rub it in Biana's hair.

And that caused a drool-war between Dex and Biana in the back of Maruca's car.

"I'm glad I'm in the front seat," Sophie muttered from where she was slouching in her chair on the passenger's side of the car. "Though, I feel really bad for Jensi."